What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IFR alternate approach requirement

CharlieWaffles

Well Known Member
What is the current rule on approach types for alternate airport for IFR flight plans. According to an FAA FAQ (http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org...e_units/techops/navservices/gnss/faq/waas/#17) the alternate airport can't be a gps approach. But the TsO it references has been cancelled as of 10/2011. So can I use an IFR certified waas gps for primary and alternate airport approaches? Was this specifically just limited to the older non precision gps approaches prior to rnav?

A. The FAA has authorized GPS as the primary means of navigation in certain areas (oceanic and remote). The FAA requires that the aircraft have the appropriate equipment necessary for the route of flight. Furthermore, a GPS approach cannot be used for the alternate if it is also used for the destination when using TSO-C129 equipment. Therefore, it may be legal to fly a GPS-only equipped aircraft in IMC, but the circumstances are quite rigorous. In Alaska , IFR-approved and installed WAAS avionics are legal as the only navigation equipment on board if the route and destination are identified for GPS/WAAS

Last edited:
What is the current rule on approach types for alternate airport for IFR flight plans. According to an FAA FAQ (http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org...e_units/techops/navservices/gnss/faq/waas/#17) the alternate airport can't be a gps approach. But the TsO it references has been cancelled as of 10/2011. So can I use an IFR certified waas gps for primary and alternate airport approaches? Was this specifically just limited to the older non precision gps approaches prior to rnav?

For the older 430 (non-WAAS) you had to be able to shoot another type of approach (i.e. VOR, ILS, NDB, etc).

But I don't believe that applies to current TSO C146 compliant GPS systems.

Bob is correct. If you have a WAAS certified gps, you may select your alternate airport based on a gps or rnav approach.

Thanks for the confirmation every once ina while I doubt my decision to forgo for navigation equipment and find something I should double check on.

Back