What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Kingston, South Australia

newt

Well Known Member
If you look at the south eastern coastline of South Australia on Google Maps, you'll see a rather unique geographical feature called The Coorong between Goolwa and Kingston.

(map link)

A line of sandhills runs for nearly 100 miles, preventing the Murray River from forming the usual river delta estuary system near its mouth. The sandhills act as a barrier between the ocean and the river's fresh water, halting the usual ebb and flow and saltwater/freshwater mixing with the tides, producing an ecosystem behind them that's found nowhere else on earth.

The south eastern part of Australia spent the first decade of the 21st century in drought, causing Lake Alexandrina and virtually all of The Coorong to dry up into smelly mosquito-infested salt pans, and the Murray mouth to actually close over. But the rains over the last 18 months have brought water back with a vengeance, and The Coorong now has more water in it than anyone has seen for a generation. Birdlife, fish, wildflowers. Camper's delight.

I'm not much of a camper, but blasting over it at 140 knots to get a $100 hamburger on a lovely warm, sunny day carries obvious appeal :)

Pushing out of the hangar to begin the day:
rv6_apron.jpg

The town of Kingston is at the southernmost extent of The Coorong. The town's major industries are fishing, agriculture and summer seaside tourism for residents of nearby Mount Gambier. A large fleet of lobster fishing boats is based in the Kingston marina, supplying the state with the bulk of its daily catch.

It's about an hour of RV flying time from Parafield Airport in Adelaide. Substation departure then track via Callington and Meningie for The Coorong, then navigate by the simple application of the "Keep Australia On Your Left" principle until you sight the Kingston lighthouse and start planning the descent. It's a perfect flight for a first time passenger, because the air on the coast is silky smooth.

Visible between Harrogate and Callington: Amusing topiary.

My first-time passenger was Tom, who took some photos.

Here he is in the passenger seat:
cockpit.jpg

The airstrip is in the ERSA. It's paved 02/20. The sea breeze can cause an interestingly blustery crosswind from the west, so stay on your toes. Park on the grass because the bitumen apron area is permanently reserved for the King Airs and PC-12s that the Flying Doctor brings in once or twice per day. There are no landing fees. You can get fuel if you call ahead on the phone number in the ERSA.

Ten minutes walk takes you into the town center, where you'll find two pubs, an IGA supermarket, a couple of fish and chip shops selling seafood fresh off the boat, and the odd cafe. There are coin operated BBQs on the waterfront and two country butcher shops where you can acquire meat if that's what takes your fancy. If you want a counter lunch at a pub, phone ahead and they'll pick you up from the airstrip. Kitschy souvenirs or a crayfish lunch can be had at The Big Lobster (1970s-vintage tourist trap adjacent to the airstrip). Antique and bric-a-brac shops run by friendly locals selling arts and crafts abound, as befits a seaside tourist town. Gearheads will appreciate the park in the town centre, which includes the restored diesel engine that generated the town's electricity until 1972. If you want to stay overnight there are B&B's, motels and caravan parks.

The Big Lobster:
lobster.jpg

On the way back home we followed The Coorong all the way back to Goolwa, then up to Warren Reservoir for the usual Dam Wall arrival at Parafield.

Near the Northern end of The Coorong, approaching Lake Alexandrina:
coorong.jpg

The mouth of the Murray River. Goolwa is immediately north of it, and you can just make out Granite Island off the coast of Victor Harbour at the top of the curve of the bay in the distance:
murray_mouth.jpg

Overtook a Tobago just short of the Dam Wall, then the tower had him right up my bum for the whole approach and asked me to expedite my exit from the runway on arrival to give him room. Somehow I managed to pull off the best, smoothest wheel landing I've ever done, and take the first exit on 21R, with a passenger who didn't know enough about aviation to have any idea how well handled it was :). Hope the Tobago driver appreciated it.

We finished up the day with our partners with curries at an Indian restaurant and a nice 2004 Barossa Valley shiraz. Good food, great wine and excellent company, couldn't have asked for a better day.

- mark

Last edited:
Hi Mark,
Thanks for the write up. Sounds like you had a great time flying then a nice meal to cap it all off.
What headset do you have ? is it noise cancelling ? I find my 7A very load and need to get another headset for PAX.

Headset

I'm using a Clarity Aloft Classic. My old David Clark H10-60 has become my passenger headset.

Both are passive and do the job pretty well. Audio quality through the Clarity Aloft is superb, and comfort on long flights is second to none.

- mark

Beautiful part of the country

Hi Mark

Beautiful place the Coorong and it is amazing how it has come back to life after the rain finally arrived. The oversized Crayfish is kitsch, but they are soooo nice to eat!

Hopefully I will have the 8 in the air soon and do the same thing myself. Great write up with lots of good pic's.

Cheers

Jim

Back