What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

QB Wing Punch List

gregbazar

Well my QB wings and fues arrived last week. Now that I have to get going on them, I would like some sagely advice on things that I need to plan for / do.

Not really worried about where the rivets go, but bigger picture stuff. A few things that have crossed my mind are:

• Stall warning (anything not mentioned in the plans)
  • LED lighting
  • HID Lighting - Saw a pretty nice install FAQ on this, but is there anything to worry about going HID
  • Pitot port (heated / un-heated)
  • AOA sensor and mounting - anyone put one in yet?
  • Fuel tanks
  • Prep work for my Egenfellner H6 (fuel return lines)

I have a pretty good idea how things go together at this point, but any other tidbits / comments on my list would be appreciated.

Wing stuff

I've only nearly completed the [slow build] left wing, and not yet started the right, so I can offer little advice. However, this is what I have done so far:-

Installed the Evans Aviation unheated pitot in the next outboard bay from the aileron bellcrank. The instructions were ok and the job was pretty straight forward. Of course, I had access through the skeleton on the slow-build, but on a closed wing it still shouldn't bee too much trouble.

Not yet connected, but am installing the SafeAir1 pitot air tubing kit in the pre-punched holes in the ribs using Vans supplied bushes. The tube is a little loose so will be held in place with a little silicon sealant to help guard against vibration. Was going to use proseal but warned against it in case I ever want to get the tube out of there in the future! I'm just wondering whether the tubing will pass behind the aileron bellcrank ok, but on DanC's website it shows that it does. I'll trial fit the bellcrank soon and check it out before I close the wing up.

Installed the Duckworks leading edge light in the furthest outboard bay. The supplied instructions were pretty good so I didn't have any bother there. Again, I had full access since I had the leading edge off the wing at that stage. The instructions do state that it isn't too much bother on a pre-built wing though.

Installed Van's corrugated conduit in a hole through the bottom of each rib as recommended in their wing wiring document on their website. Ran three draw strings down there. Easy peasy!

I didn't build my tanks, though I did comply with the recent service bulletin on the left one, and will again on the right one when I get that far. They were built by Evans Aviation and are great work.

I have an AoA wing installation kit for the right wing, so I'll need to work out what I'm doing there too!

Hope that might help in some small way.

Cheers,

That helps

That is exactly what I am looking for.

On the conduit - I learned from an electrician that a real easy way to get your strings run is to tie a kleenex to a string and use a shop vac to suck it through. For larger conduits (around the house) you can use a koosh ball tied to a string.

I have actually run 350' of 3" conduit using the koosh ball! ;)

What is your AOA water seperator mount look like? Looking through their install manual, it looks like that you have to drill an extra hole in the bottom of the wing to drain the device.

Running strings

I also used my compressed air gun to shoot the string down the conduit, though I wrapped the ends in a little tape. Tissue *would* have been easier, but I didn't think of it. Vans recommends cotton wool balls, but I didn't have any.

AoA - yes, a port is required in the bottom wing so you can poke the drain with a piece of wire. Some builders have run a guide tube between the two skins and I think I'm going to do the same. Of course, I have full access without the skins on, so this might be easier for me than for a QB wing.

Here's a link to the AoA wing install kit. Not sure how good it will come out against my living room carpet...

[img=http://img434.imageshack.us/img434/7213/dsc008910ym.jpg]

Cheers,

The HID lighting is much brighter but it does add extra weight. It also can't be used with wig-wag. I used HID for my landing light and a regular light for my taxi light. Duct Works lights are easy to install but the first cut is a bit intimidating.

There are several threads in the history on the AoA. Bottom line is that it is simple to install in QB wings.

Think about balance when installing items. You don't want to put an AP servo, HID light and wing tip antenna all in the same wing. You'll end up with about 12 pounds more weight in one wing that way.

Drilling the ribs for the conduits can be challenging due to access. There are several threads that will pop up on a search.

Jekyll

Eggenfellner

You will need to add a 5/16th fuel return port to each fuel tank to accomodate the returned fuel from the injectors. I am also planning an Eggenfellner H-6 in my -10. Please email me off-system with your phone number if you would like to compare notes on the Egg

Steve Mills
40486 finishing wings

Back