What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

VFR Routes thru the Rockies

Peetie the Pilot

There is a gaggle of RV's that will be making the trip out west to attend the homecoming in 2012. Being flatlanders, we would appreciate any advise about flying thru the "rocks". VFR routes, altitudes etc. We will be approaching from the east at approx. the Muddy Mountain VOR.

Thanks
Peter
RV-9A

My wife and I flew our old Bonanza from Minnesota to the Pacific NW a few years ago. We basically stuck with Interstate 90 for the trip. As I recall, the highest pass on that route was about 6500 feet. Gorgeous trip.

Mullan Pass is a good way to go through, though it's a little north of where you're planning on hitting the mountains. From the Rapid City area, angle up toward Gillette and Billings, then follow I-90 until you break out near Spokane. Lots of landing options (emergency and/or refueling) available along the way.

Last edited:
I second the Mullan Pass (MLP) recomendation. Mullan Pass keeps you over I-90 from Montana through Idaho and into Eastern Washington near Spokane. I-90 has plenty of convenient airports if needed.

From Spokane, the terrain flattens out nicely and it's simple to follow the Columbia river through the Columbia River Gorge (easy, low altitude route across the Cascades) into Portland, OR.

There is a gaggle of RV's that will be making the trip out west to attend the homecoming in 2012. Being flatlanders, we would appreciate any advise about flying thru the "rocks". VFR routes, altitudes etc. We will be approaching from the east at approx. the Muddy Mountain VOR.

If are heading for Casper, Wyoming, my suggestion would be to make Malad City, ID (KMLD) your destination after Casper and shortly after Malad, you could stop in (JER) Jerome, ID for fuel (usually the lowest price in the area) and then continue west to your final destination (7S5), where I live. Full fuel in Jerome will get you to Independence, Oregon, location of the homecoming.

That suggested route takes you over high rolling hills and no intimidating sharp peaks. As a matter of fact, you don't even realize your crossing the Rockies.

Laramie Wyoming

I forget the highway that runs East-West there but thats the way we always got to get to Loveland Co from Corvallis (20 miles South of Independance).

The land is flat across Wyoming than we jog up to the valley and cross idaho near Boise.

its a nice trip and you don't have to go above 10k the whole way from memory.

of course going East we get up high and go on O2.

Frank

Thanks folks for the great info. We will certainly take all info we receive into consideration and hope we can meet up with those who plan on attending the homecoming.

Regards,
Peter

Since weather may steer you north or south, want to lay out a northern route that will get you there over as low country as possible. Suggest following along via Google Maps, in Satellite view

This is a route that many people seem unaware of; however it's great for low performance planes, and more importantly when the high country has sketch weather. It still has some mountain terrain, though.

• Navigate across the Plains (or Southern Canada) to Miles City, MT (fuel up here)
  • Direct Lewistown (Fuel stop/hotel about 1 mile from the field)
  • Head towards Great Falls, but stay south, so that you are just north of the mountains to the south of Great Falls. This is obvious on a map.
  • When you intercept Montana highway 200, follow it SW over a fairly low pass to Lincoln. But this is the beginning of the highest country you will traverse.
  • Continue west, still following Hwy 200 to just south of Seeley Lake
  • Go direct St Ignatius, over the two Joco Lakes. BTW, St Ignatius is a great fuel stop, but watch the density altitude!
  • West from St. Ignatius to pick Hwy 200 back up, and more importantly the river that it follows.
  • You are done with high country -- which the I-90 route just south of here is full of.
  • Follow the river all the way across to Lake Pend Oreille/Sandpoint
  • Cut SW to Deer Park, WA (another great fuel stop)
  • Continue SW across Washington State, thru the Gorge along the Columbia to Portland

Another reason to stop in St. Ignatius...

...is the Catholic Mission. Unassuming from the outside but inside the wall and ceiling murals are incredible! A priest made them his life's work. He wasn't Michelangelo but it took my breath away.

It is a five minute trip from the airport in the courtesy car.

LarryT
Larry Tompkins
N544WB -6A purchased flying
W52 Battle Ground, WA

Since weather may steer you north or south, want to lay out a northern route that will get you there over as low country as possible. Suggest following along via Google Maps, in Satellite view

This is a route that many people seem unaware of; however it's great for low performance planes, and more importantly when the high country has sketch weather. It still has some mountain terrain, though.

• Navigate across the Plains (or Southern Canada) to Miles City, MT (fuel up here)
  • Direct Lewistown (Fuel stop/hotel about 1 mile from the field)
  • Head towards Great Falls, but stay south, so that you are just north of the mountains to the south of Great Falls. This is obvious on a map.
  • When you intercept Montana highway 200, follow it SW over a fairly low pass to Lincoln. But this is the beginning of the highest country you will traverse.
  • Continue west, still following Hwy 200 to just south of Seeley Lake
  • Go direct St Ignatius, over the two Joco Lakes. BTW, St Ignatius is a great fuel stop, but watch the density altitude!
  • West from St. Ignatius to pick Hwy 200 back up, and more importantly the river that it follows.
  • You are done with high country -- which the I-90 route just south of here is full of.
  • Follow the river all the way across to Lake Pend Oreille/Sandpoint
  • Cut SW to Deer Park, WA (another great fuel stop)
  • Continue SW across Washington State, thru the Gorge along the Columbia to Portland

Thank you again folks
I can see many of you have different ways of getting thru the "rocks". It certainly seems to be the northern routes works best. jan, yes we will put an album together and have it posted on VAF.

Regards,
Peter

You need a few plans

Because of weather you want a few options. I usually follow i90 Seattle to OSH. But look up Oregon Trail, they did that in covered wagons! Another route is over Jackson hole into the big valley in southern Idaho. It is high but a short distance over the pointed rocks.

Of course I'm probably biased, but I'd suggest veering back into Canada and coming across from Calgary, passing Banff and Lake Louise, through Rogers Pass and then almost any route (even direct) to Vancouver on the coast. Stop at Langley, BC, there's a high concentration of RV's on the field and some will likely go to the Homecoming as well.

If Calgary is too far north, the Crowsnest Pass just slightly further south is almost as scenic. Once in Vancouver area, fly down the Washington and Oregon coasts to get to the Homecoming. We came home that way last time and the scenery was amazing.

This actually brings up a good point. Should we try to cross by following an Interstate? Obviously, I-70 might be a problem, but would it work as a rule of thumb?
Surely, somebody like AOPA has compiled some kind of map or list, with all the good routes.

John

You need this: "Standardised Validation" form for Canadian overflight or landing.

By agreement between FAA and Transport Canada, any US certified experimental aircraft must have this Canadian Validation letter onboard for any flight in Canadian airspace. This includes overflights, such as routes from northern Ohio to the north Detroit area. The letter does not require signature, filing, or even notation of your tail number. It simply needs to be onboard. I suggest you print it, read it once, and keep it in your permanent onboard documentation folder (with your inspection/airworthiness/flight limitations letter).

http://www.faa.gov/aircraft/gen_av/ultralights/sfa/media/tcauth.pdf

Over the years, my firm has never encountered an enforcement action specific to an overflight without this letter. But, its absence can result in a denial of landing rights for a trip into Canada. And possibly fines.

You might never need it -- but it free and easy to get and keep a copy. And, under present regulations, it does not expire.

By agreement between FAA and Transport Canada, any US certified experimental aircraft must have this Canadian Validation letter onboard for any flight in Canadian airspace. This includes overflights, such as routes from northern Ohio to the north Detroit area. The letter does not require signature, filing, or even notation of your tail number. It simply needs to be onboard. I suggest you print it, read it once, and keep it in your permanent onboard documentation folder (with your inspection/airworthiness/flight limitations letter).

http://www.faa.gov/aircraft/gen_av/ultralights/sfa/media/tcauth.pdf

Over the years, my firm has never encountered an enforcement action specific to an overflight without this letter. But, its absence can result in a denial of landing rights for a trip into Canada. And possibly fines.

You might never need it -- but it free and easy to get and keep a copy. And, under present regulations, it does not expire.

Excellent advice for US pilots flying into Canada, but I believe the original poster here is a Canadian pilot wishing to fly into the US, yes?:)

John, locally many will fly over Monarch Pass. Head to KANK then west. You are only over mountains a few minutes before opening up to a valley. A reality of much of the area out here is that it is not conducive to off-airport landings. So staying within gliding distance of some sort of road is not a bad idea, even if it adds a bit of flight time.

It all depends upon your route. Just look at a topo map or equivalent to see that it is not that difficult. Check this route: KPUB - KANK - KMTJ

Back