What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

place to eat near Castle AFB museum?

scsmith

Well Known Member
I'm thinking of flying into the Castle "airport" and walking over to the museum.

Is there a cafe on the field or at the museum? nothing about it on their website. The website doesn't even confirm that you can walk there from the airport.
Or, any other airports close by with nice restaurants on the field? Auburn is maybe a bit far, but thats a possibility.
Ideas?

IIRC, the museum is not located at the airport.

Could be wrong??

Pine Mountain Lake used to have a good restaurant.

It's been a few years, but last time I was there, there was a shuttle from the airport to the museum. It's not far. At that time there was a cafe at the museum.

Castle AFB

Steve -
The museum is off of the base but within walking distance. I was there a couple of years ago and ate at a cafe at the museum but I am not sure if it is still open. I'm sure you will get an update from a local.

Castle

I was there about a month ago with a few other people. The airport staff is friendly and shuttled us to the recommended taco shop, which we found out was closed. He then drove us to another recommended restaurant, and picked us up when done.
The offer was made to drop us off at the museum. He also gave us a tour of the old, abandoned structures.

As we were coming in, we called tower. After we gave him a position report, he responded with "All I have up here is a pencil, a notepad, and binoculars. Do you know the prison? Rock your wings over it."

the response was "I don't recognize the prison from the outside."

Give them a call and ask for recommendations. They may just drive you there.

Steve,

My wife's business is located at Castle. It's about 1.5 miles from the FBO to the museum. The FBO will drive you. If you know when you are coming, let me know and you can borrow the wife's car.

Back