What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cool places/people to visit 2hr driving radius KMOD

Strasnuts

Well Known Member
I'm doing a trip to KMOD for work on the 18th so I will have 2 days to drive around California. I really don't want to stay in Modesto again so I thought I would ask if there is a great place to see RV's or a cool town to see. I go to Napa once a year with my wife so I was thinking somewhere different or if anyone needs help with their build. I'm an A&P and finished an RV-10 slow build.

Are you flying or driving?

If you are interested in a bit of history and old towns, there is some of it in Coloma and Placerville. There is a railroad museum in Sacramento that has a good history of railroad to the West. Columbia is a nice little town to fly to and have a short walk to its old town.
I am hangered in Placerville, if you come this way let me know and we can hook up and maybe go for a quick spin.

It's dungeness crab season here, so that's a good excuse to visit the coast which is like 2.5 hours away. :D You can get crab live off the boats or cooked anywhere in the harbor right next to my home field, kHAF. We have some amazing planes to look at too.

Wish I could say hi if you visit, but unfortunately, I will be on the east coast for the next few days.

I couldn't resist sharing a recent pic i took, maybe a couple hours after completing phase one!

IMG_0231.JPG

Last edited:
MOD trip

I am flying (for work) to KMOD and leaving the jet there. Renting a car and driving out of town.
Thanks for the replies, there are a lot of good choices. The last trip I made here I went to Yosemite and ended up hiking around about 22 miles one day. What a spectacular place!
I went to Monterey about a month ago on a trip and really enjoyed the area.
Placerville looks good and so does Half Moon Bay. I was actually thinking of going to KHAF before I posted the question.

Thanks

Thanks again for the replies. I booked a room at KHAF. love to meet anyone out there if possible. I'm sure I will be walking out to the airport to look around. Too bad you're out of town Jchang.

Thanks again for the replies. I booked a room at KHAF. love to meet anyone out there if possible. I'm sure I will be walking out to the airport to look around. Too bad you're out of town Jchang.

You can't go wrong with HAF, we fly there often for a good seafood and a walk by the beach.

If your plans changed, let me know as I am always up for a quick flight.

And, if you end up going to PVF, O61 is just a quick flight down the hill.

Have fun during your CA sojourn.

If you have not been to Yosemite, that would be number one on my bucket list.

Back