What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Remove vsi or vacuum dg

tclaire

I am updating my panel to get to ifr status we be will be removing the vacuum dg or the vsi with a dynon 10 da which one would be the better one to remove for ifr flight. The dynon will have both the electric dg and vsi
Thanks Tim

By removing the DG you would be removing more weight.
Plus the VSI on the Dynon is slightly more difficult to "scan" than the steam gauge.

As someone who has experienced an EFIS roll inverted just 50 feet AGL on a zero zero takeoff, I would remove the VSI. In my situation, I pegged airspeed where I knew I would be climbing and crossreferenced with the DG so I knew I was not turning. Maybe you have an alternate DG such as on a 496?

As someone who has experienced an EFIS roll inverted just 50 feet AGL on a zero zero takeoff, I would remove the VSI. In my situation, I pegged airspeed where I knew I would be climbing and crossreferenced with the DG so I knew I was not turning. Maybe you have an alternate DG such as on a 496?
I will still have my vacuum driven AH and the dynon as a backup

Mel is right. I have a D10A and all the steam gauges except turn and bank. I rely on the VSI and not the Dynon 100% of the time. In fact I have the Dynon set to the HSI page about half the time.

PS. Having 2 sets of instruments from seperate sources gives me a great deal of added comfort up there!

John Morgan

If they disagree there are always cross checks to determine the correct indications. If you have a bank angle disagreement the wet compass can quickly determine the winner so to speak. Other Compass sources if available will be even better. The turn and bank also can be used. If its a pitch disagreement the altimeter or a VSI can quickly let you sort the good from the bad. The Garmin GPS can also be a excellent tie breaker. I really like the 1 hard button push on the 696 to have a instant full back up panel.

George

Thanks for the feed back I will be removing the vacuum dg and replacing with the dynon 10 da. If the dynon fails I will have a 496 as back up and compass
Tim

Back