What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Roger Aspegren, RV-9A Subie Powered

Geico266

Well Known Member
Roger Aspegren passed away today, peacefully, after a short battle with cancer. Roger built an exceptional RV- 9a with a Subaru engine. It ran perfectly and is a testimate to his skills as a builder. Roger was also building an RV-12 at the time of his diagnosis. He also built a Kitfox before the RV.

Roger worked tirelessly for the EAA Chapter 569 Lincoln, NE Chapter and helped with and organized the once a month breakfast at Crete Airport, Nebraska the 3rd Sat of the every month for years. He would make omletes to order and always had a smile on his face. At 6'6" he was hard to miss. He served all of the EAA chapter offices several times and was the "go to guy" to get things organized. He attended OSH and SnF many times. Just an all around good guy to know, and he was an exceptional pilot / aviator.

Roger will be missed by a lot of people both in aviation and with the local Kiwanis chapter where he was very active.
He was one of a kind and died way too young. Cancer truly sucks.

Blue skies and tail winds, as you head west Roger. Your work is just starting.

Last edited:
If there in a heaven Roger is there organizing an EAA Chapter breakfast and making omletes with no cheese. He hated cheese. lol

RIP my friend.

If there in a heaven Roger is there organizing an EAA Chapter breakfast and making omletes with no cheese. He hated cheese. lol

RIP my friend.

Sorry to read this report, Larry.

You may not recall the day, January 3, 2007, but I flew to Crete to help Roger sort out a few things with his Subby 2.5 engine and we were in his car or pick up headed out for lunch when you drove by and we waved.

Roger said, there's my good friend Larry Geiger - he knows most everything there is to know about airplanes. :)

I never saw Roger again but we did exchange an e-mail or two.

Sorry to read this report, Larry.

You may not recall the day, January 3, 2007, but I flew to Crete to help Roger sort out a few things with his Subby 2.5 engine and we were in his car or pick up headed out for lunch when you drove by and we waved.

Roger said, there's my good friend Larry Geiger - he knows most everything there is to know about airplanes. :)

I never saw Roger again but we did exchange an e-mail or two.

Thanks. I do remember that! He spoke very highly of you also.

Roger introduced me to Crown Royal on the rocks at OSH in 07 I think. I had one tonight and made a toast in his honor at sunset. It was a beautiful senset. We argued like brothers at times, but I will miss his company.

Life goes on. .....alittle tougher without him, a little easier with Crown Royal.

Roger was truly a dedicated man to family, friends and EAA. He was so supportive of getting me into aviation. In fact Roger gave me my first ride in his RV. At the time I didn’t understand what EAA was and what the RV world was all about but Roger was there to help. Even to go as far to meet me at his hanger and talk about his RV-9A. Really he was teaching me about airplanes, one of his loves!

Later I purchase a RV9A and used it to get my license. Roger would always comment how he loved the RV-9A and would go out of his way to ask about how’s everything going with the training. He would get so excited about how great he thought it was to get your license in a 9.

Roger encourage, supported and shared a lot of information without expecting anything. Just friendship.

Yes God, took a good one here.

J Schwery

Last edited:
Back