What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Paperwork

riseric

Well Known Member
Patron
First post here so I want to start by saying hi to everyone !!!

Also, I don't know if this post is in the right place but here goes.

I'm very seriously looking into starting my RV-8 project after a work collegue of mine showed me his beautifully finished RV-7A.
So I'm in the pre-planning and preperation processes right now.

My plan is to obviously start with the tail section within the next 6 months.
Gotta find a place to build, order tools, etc...

The hitch is this: As a Canadian, I'm working in Geneva, Switzerland and living in France. But I'll probably start the project in Switzerland (8% tax instead of 19.5% in France)

I'll most probably be living back in Canada within 5 years.

I would most probably order the rest and finish the plane in Canada. Less hassle to move across the Atlantic only a tail part...

I know about the needed paperwork here.

My concern is: what about paperwork for Canada? Do I need to apply for something before starting, before moving, before flying???

Sorry for these questions, I understand that it can be basic stuff to know, but even searching, nothing was clear cut...

Anyway, if someone can light my lantern on this, I'd appreciate immensely!!!

Have a nice day everyone !!!

Eric

You might send a PM here to "dforster" - he is a Canadian who has built a couple of Canadian-registered homebuilts while living here in Texas. He might be able to advise on how the rules work for you.

Paul

Eric, all you need to know is available here on the MD-RA website:

http://www.md-ra.com

That stands for Minister's Delegates - Recreational Aviation, they are the body who conducts inspections on amateur-built aircraft in Canada.

A couple of things come to mind after reading your post... One, when you import the parts back to Canada during the build, you'll pay PST/GST or HST (whichever applies in your province) on the parts. 8% in Switzerland and then 12% coming to Canada means 20% total. Two, MD-RA will need to inspect the work before you close any components. You can build up the tail surfaces to the point of leaving one side of each part open, and then you'll need to get them back to Canada for inspection before you can proceed. If you close them up, and then bring them back to Canada, you *will* have to drill out rivets so they can look inside. Others have been bitten by this in the past.

You might send a PM here to "dforster" - he is a Canadian who has built a couple of Canadian-registered homebuilts while living here in Texas. He might be able to advise on how the rules work for you.

Paul

Thanks Paul for the advice... Will do

Eric, all you need to know is available here on the MD-RA website:

http://www.md-ra.com

That stands for Minister's Delegates - Recreational Aviation, they are the body who conducts inspections on amateur-built aircraft in Canada.

A couple of things come to mind after reading your post... One, when you import the parts back to Canada during the build, you'll pay PST/GST or HST (whichever applies in your province) on the parts. 8% in Switzerland and then 12% coming to Canada means 20% total. Two, MD-RA will need to inspect the work before you close any components. You can build up the tail surfaces to the point of leaving one side of each part open, and then you'll need to get them back to Canada for inspection before you can proceed. If you close them up, and then bring them back to Canada, you *will* have to drill out rivets so they can look inside. Others have been bitten by this in the past.

Thanks Snowflake for the advice!!!
I will check the link you provided...

And I knew about the part where to leave one end open for inspection, my colleague here told me already about it, won't make that mistake at least !!!

Cheers !!

Eric

Snowflake, I've never worked or lived out of province, but I find it hard to believe that all assets purchased while living abroad with the foreign taxes paid that one would have to pay canadian taxes on the same item. Maybe the difference ie. if you pay 8% foriegn tax and the GST is 15% you would owe 7% entering the country. Just my guess.
Ron

Having moved from Canada to Switzerland and then to France, I know that what's in your move, personal stuff for example, is exempt of taxes if owned for some time. 6 months for example in Europe. There are some restrictions as for a certain amount of alcool. But none on motor vehicule, respecting the 6 month rule. One would assume this applies also to aircraft or part of one... But let's not assume... It will have to be checked...
Eric

Back