What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EI RPM R-1 and P-Mags

XrayLimaLima

I'm New Here
Hi,

I have recently swapped my magnetos to dual Pmags (www.emagair.com) and then I?ve swapped the pickup signal from the old fashion magnetos to the signal supported from these Pmags.

I have the RPM R-1 and I?ve disconnected the brown and orange wire where it was linked to the ignition key and now has it connected to the Pmags to the signal for tachometer.

Data:
1. I have Lycoming O360 A1A
2. I have R-1 tachometer
3. Pmags ignitions provide a 5-volt tack signal with two pulses per revolution (20 millisecond long). I?ve seen in the manuals that I can change it to one pulse per revolution.

Question:
Is this change OK? If not how to get the RPM pickup signal correct to R-1 after swap to electronic magnetos like Pmags?

/Brgds Mats Skroder, Stockholm, Sweden +46 709927900

The P-mag tach signal should work with the R-1 tach but you may have to make some adjustments.

The P-mag's tach signal can be programmed for the number of pulses per revolution you want it to put out. (I don?t recall what the default is, but I think it might be two pulses per revolution, as you mentioned.)

If you connect them and your tach is reading high, then you need to adjust either the tach or the P-mag.

To adjust the P-mag, you can down load the ECAD program from the emag website.

Even if you connected it wrong, it shouldn?t hurt anything.

I don?t know anything about the R1 but will be happy to sell you an EICommander to replace that R-1 tack. That way you can also manage and monitor your P-mag while you fly.

P-Mags output a 12 Volt tach signal unless you install the provided diode, bridged between the 1st and 6th leads. With the diode installed, the P-mag outputs 5 Volts.

I've haven't had any issues with the diode installed, and a wire from the #6 post of my right P-mag connected to my R1 tach.

EI R-1 with Pmags

From the horse's mouth, so to speak. Just got this info for my 6.

"Howdy, Mike -

Okay...sorry for the delay, but we (the engineers and I) needed to
discuss the benefits of having the 2 pulses vs 1, 12v vs 5v, etc...

So, we would prefer 5v per pulse, 2 pulses per revolution.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Thank you,

Tyler Speed
Electronics International
541-318-6060"

Mike Bauer
RV6 N918MB

P-Mag and EI R-1 Tach Compatability CORRECTION

To my friend in Sweden who initially asked this question...I may have misled you, and must advise you to consider an alternative product. My mistake.

After pre-planning and consulting with Electronics International for several months on how to use my nice EI R-1 tachometer with my fresh rebuilt O-360 with dual P-mag ignitions, and having received a green light from Tyler Speed all the way, I remain grounded over 5 weeks with no tachometer.

Early planning discussions with Speed were that the R-1 "should read" a 5 volt 2 pulse signal. It did not. Ship it to EI. Nor after a $95 modification in Bend did it work . Nor will EI respond to my support emails about how to proceed. Shipping and troubleshooting the wiring installation (engine starts and runs great btw) eating up a huge amount of time.

Brad of course does not sell or troubleshoot tachometers, nor will he recommend what type of tachometer to use with the E-Mag products. He did explain how to verify tach signal voltage, joy.

So, my friend, you are possibly also very close to being on your own in this process, and a long way from help if you go down this road.

As to Electronics International, previously my go-to steam gauge pals, I do not know what to say. Due to either their lack of interest, or skill, or followup to my inquiries, I have a dozen dry starts on the new engine, channel chrome to boot, and am grounded, and am waiting for Spruce to fill backorders on the Repucci Commander, an expensive solution I admit.

My suggestion to future new-engine users of the E-mag products is to consider using mags to break in your engine and switch to Emags later to solve the tachometer issue so you do not have to re-pickle your engine while you try to find someone who cares about your problem.

This advice is of course intended for steam gauge users, the glass folks have not reported this extent of problems, and Hydroguy had the best suggestion so far...an independent tachometer system that bypasses the E-mag tach signal entirely.

Cheers.

Mike Bauer
RV6 N918MB

Back