What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Team RV going to the dark side - need help

ronschreck

Well Known Member
Team RV may be flying a night show next year! :eek: We got some pretty neat HID lights to illuminate the smoke trail and figured out how to mount them on the belly. They will be removed for normal operations. What we can't find is a nice flush mounted, two prong electrical connector to provide power and ground to the light. It should be rated at 5+ amps and ideally would lock together with the plug and be weather resistant. Oh, and cheap!

Send me a link if you find something that might work. Thanks.

PS: Team RV is performing for the Boshears Skyfest at Daniel Field (KDNL) in Augusta, GA this weekend. Come and watch the show and drop by to say hello. We enjoy meeting the VAF pilots.

Ron, Did you not get enough night formation in the Military? Its dark out there at night and not as much lift. Not to mention just plain scary!!!

George

Ron, next time you are in 5W8, drop off the specs for the lights (volts/amps) and I will see what I can come up with. Just leave it in the FBO, or with Kimmy at Orion. Come to think of it, Kimmy may have a solution already with the work they (and you) do.

Is the team proposing to drill a hole in the belly somewhere and have the flush connector permanently mounted?

Seems like slot position will have to deal with headlights to the eyes...

Ron, next time you are in 5W8, drop off the specs for the lights (volts/amps) and I will see what I can come up with. Just leave it in the FBO, or with Kimmy at Orion. Come to think of it, Kimmy may have a solution already with the work they (and you) do.

Is the team proposing to drill a hole in the belly somewhere and have the flush connector permanently mounted?

Seems like slot position will have to deal with headlights to the eyes...

Noel,

The lights are 55 watt, 12 volt, 5 amp. The flush connector will be permanently mounted on the belly skin.

Yea, the slot position may be a little dicey. We have a lot a practicing to do!

http://www.wsdeans.com/products/plugs/ultra_plug.html

These carry a lot of amps, but you will need to create a mount of some kind.

Any hobby shop that caters to R/C will have them.

Small and light weight.

You could also mount a cigarette lighter socket in the belly, many of the after market ones have covers with them, for when the lights are not installed.

Many ways this feline can be skinned.

Back