What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fairings photos?

rvator4twa

Well Known Member
Patron
I purchased a set of fairings from Cleaveland Tools that were made in Austrailia. They look to fit great. They are split to slide over the gear leg and not to be molded like bob? makes at Fairings. Has anyone installed them and are there photos?

I would think the -7 fairings would work on the -9. The -7 and -9 share the same fuse/mount/cowl don't they?
This is a big unknown. The legs on a -9 are significantly longer than those on the -7 and I haven't been able to confirm that the angles coming off the mount are the same which is probably what's most important. Additionally, the angles on the leg fairings are different for the -9 and -7 which also suggests significant differences. Finally, added to all this, other fairings manufacturers have different model numbers for the -7 and -9 fairings.

This is a big unknown. The legs on a -9 are significantly longer than those on the -7 and I haven't been able to confirm that the angles coming off the mount are the same which is probably what's most important. Additionally, the angles on the leg fairings are different for the -9 and -7 which also suggests significant differences. Finally, added to all this, other fairings manufacturers have different model numbers for the -7 and -9 fairings.

Why not ask Chad Jensen (RV7/360) what the angle of his gear legs are to the fuse/ground and also ask Bill R. (RV9/360) if he could do the same. We can then compare them. Chad? Bill?

I seem to recall a recent thread in which the RV Bits folks were looking for someone with a 9 that had fairings completed that they could use as a template. This would suggest that they are different from the 7. I suggest you contact Jan (?) at RV Bits and ask him directly.

greg

I just got a response from Jan as follows:

The answer is that I do not know as I could not locate any RV9's close to me in order to fit it.
There is a good chance that it will. So maybe you can locate a 9 builder/flyer and ask him to test.
Best regards,
Jan.

Steve if you want me to send you a set to try they are in stock. That way we will know for certain.

Thanks,
Mike

-

Steve if you want me to send you a set to try they are in stock. That way we will know for certain.
Sure, Mike. I'll be the guinea pig for those of us building -9s! :D My address is in your files somewhere, but I'll try to give you a call later today to arrange payment.
Thanks.
Steve Moore

Steve, thank you for working on this on behalf of all the 9 builders. Please know there are many others watching this thread with interest. Let us know how it goes!

Steve, thank you for working on this on behalf of all the 9 builders. Please know there are many others watching this thread with interest. Let us know how it goes!
Will do. It may take 3-4 weeks to get some reports out, as I'm just now in the middle of moving from garage to hanger and doing final assembly. However, since my wheel pants are fitted and leg fairings already constructed, it shouldn't take too long. I'll do a full report, perhaps with a few pictures once I'm in a position to get the aircraft jacked up again to align everything. If I can do any quick, preliminary fittings just to see if they're close, I'll report that as well.
Steve

Hi Guys,
Just saw this now. I am sure there will be differences and my problem STILL is to locate a 9 to go and test.
Thanks Mike for your help on that side. Looking forward to see the outcome.

Greg mentioned that he did not get a reply from me. I went back to June now checking my messages and honestly do find anything from you. :confused:
I normally try to reply the same day.

Just a clarification, I did get a reply quickly when I emailed (much earlier this year) - it was Steve that apparently did not hear back.

I was very happy with my interaction with Jan, thus my recommendation.

greg

Back