What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil Sample Results

pbesing

Well Known Member
Has anyone ever got negative results on an oil sample? I never have...there's a remark that says everything is normal on every one I've ever done.

I know the reason some of us do it, don't need that lesson, but do you REALLY need to spend the $17/oil change? Of course they are a good idea, but every oil change is it necessary? Every 2 or 3 changes perhaps is what I'm thinking.

Last edited:
I've always been curious - I wonder if anyone has any first-hand accounts (their own) of cases where they pulled a low or mid-time engine due to an oil analysis, without extenuating circumstances (high time engine, for instance). I know that analysis is useful for fleets and other big operations - I just wonder if it has saved an individual owner's bacon!

I'm not advocating to "not sample" - just interested in real stories.

Paul

Oil Analysis

I have, (low time engine) my analysis was showing high levels of brass, started looking into the cause and found that my rocker arms were not surfaced properly. Also the valve guides had started to wear out of round as a result. The engine builder (Lycon) replaced all worn parts under warranty.
Tom
RV3

Back