What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ADI II and gnc300xl

49clipper

Well Known Member
Anybody know what the baud rate for the 300xl is? I have a Lowrance 2000C tied to my ADI II and also a gnc300xl tied to it thru a switch but the 300xl will not drive the AP. Just got the 300xl out of the shop and it checks fine. Pin 24 on the 300xl goes to the AP.

300XL baud

The I/O Channel 1 (Pin 24) on the 300XL is either 4800 or 9600 baud.
The ADI may also be set to either 4800 or 9600. You can check and see how it is set and set the 300XL to match. Or check the Lowrance, whichever is easier.
Make sure you have the 300XL channel 1 output enabled (it can be turned off).

gnc300xl

How in the world do I check to see if its turned on (channel 1)? I checked the baud rate on the TT and its set at 4800. I tried 9600 and that also did not work. My Lowrance has many options on baud rate. But it also has options on NMEA in, NMEA out, and one other. Only one works for the TT. Guess I better be calling TT or Garmin. I would hate to have to make those changes every time I switch to another gps.

300xl & TT

Lucas, are you listening.

Got any ideas how to set the ADI II so the 300xl talks to it? When I push the track button, I get a zero and no heading info.

How in the world do I check to see if its turned on (channel 1)? I checked the baud rate on the TT and its set at 4800. I tried 9600 and that also did not work. My Lowrance has many options on baud rate. But it also has options on NMEA in, NMEA out, and one other. Only one works for the TT. Guess I better be calling TT or Garmin. I would hate to have to make those changes every time I switch to another gps.
Do you have the installation manual for the 300XL? If not, send an email to:
Dennis (dot) Glaeser (at) HP (dot) com
and I will send it to you. I was going to put the germain text in here, but the PDF won't let me cut and paste.
You get to Test Mode by holding the ENT key then turn on the power. You may be able to figure it out from there. The outer knob selects, the inner knob changes data. The cursor needs to be off to move to a new page, and on to select items on a page.
The 300XL out put should be set to 'aviation' - the TT accepts that.
Doesn't the Lowrance show you the currently selected options for output and baud?
If all else fails, you can try the 300XL pin 19 which is I/O channel 2 which outputs NMEA data (but probably needs to be configured).

Lucas, are you listening.

Got any ideas how to set the ADI II so the 300xl talks to it? When I push the track button, I get a zero and no heading info.

Yep, I'm here. I just returned from class.

Make sure your 300XL is set to the proper output format. According to the DII/ADI Pilot II installation manual the serial output on the GPS needs to be set to PLOTTING. You should also have a baud rate option there so you may be able to configure the 300XL to output whichever rate you please. Hope this helps.

EDIT: According to Dennis's post, AVIATION is also an option which should work as well.

300xl

Thanks Lucas and DGlieser,
Got it. Set to 'aviation, set the ADI to '9600 as well as the Lowrance, and set the channel 1 output to "on" instead of 'off', and it now talks to the ADI.

Jim Stoops
RV-6 N189EM

Back