What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Autopilot and Electric Aileron Trim

n824rv

I am building a RV-7A quickbuild which is expected to arrive in the next month or so. I ordered the Electric Trim option with the kit. I would like to install an EZ Pilot autopilot. The question that I have is the electric trim going to cause a problem with the autopilot and would I be better off with just the autopilot. Any input would be appreciated

autopilot & electric trip

The electric trim simply puts a bit of sideways pressure on the stick through a small servo which is connected to the control assembly via a couple of springs. So it works in a different way to an auto pilot servo which has a solid connection to the control system via a clutch to allow it to disconnect.

If you intend to mount the servo under the cockpit floor it will be quite tight to get it in with the the trim and other control linkages. That is what I am planning on with my servo (BMA) and I will not be sure it all works without interferance until I actually can get the wings on.

Back