What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

MGL Autopilot

Rainier Lamers

Well Known Member
For those interested, the MGL autopilot is currently getting a good test.
James and Jean from the "Airplane factory" are busy flying their Sling-4 4-seater prototype around the World.
They started in South Africa, then to Reunion in the Indian Ocean and from there to Colombo, then Phuket in Thailand, then Taiwan and they are now on Guam in the Pacific with Marshall Islands next stop.

The trip has been an adventure with long flying times (in excess of 20 hours/leg) much weather and turbulence. The aircraft is fitted with two of our EFIS systems and of course the autopilot. The autopilot has up to now been flying 99.8% of the flight (according to their reports), partly in real bad conditions. The AP gets switched on after take off on climb out and then flies all the way to the destination with any deviations/climbs and descents on AP - even approaches and circuits are done on AP. The AP is only switched of shortly before touch down which is flown manually.

It is very interesting to note that this 4 seater is fitted with a Rotax 914 engine and is performing beyond anybodies expectations (including mine).

You can follow this edge-of-the-seat adventure on www.airplanefactory.co.za and on www.avcom.co.za

Have a look, it's worth it - this is real good hero flying stuff (even if you would never consider our systems or this aircraft - this is a real flying adventure) !

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

Ranier

It absolutely is an edge of the seat adventure that they are on! I've been following their blog since the construction phase of the Sling 4.

There was a small clip there where James was showing someone how the MGL EFIS works but it was shot from outside the plane and you really could not see any detail.

Since they have so much time on their hands during those 20+ hour legs, maybe you could send them a note and talk them into doing an in-flight demo video of the EFIS showing how the AP tracks, screen selection, customization (if they have done any), engine monitoring, etc...

With James narrating, I'm sure it will be very informative and entertaining!

Yes, good idea !
They must be bored out of their minds up there (but with a healthy dose of dread somewhere in their stomachs).
Why don't you post that request on Avcom - I'm sure you would have more "pull" than me...

Anyway, they made it to Majuro a short while ago. Next stop Hilo / Hawaii and then a big jump (not that the current hops are "small") to LA.
Thousands are follwing this flight and updates are posted currently by J&J shortly after every landing.
They lost their satellite flight tracker in a storm south of Madagascar early on (probably water or lightning induced damage) so we don't have live tracking - they will be fitting a new one in LA I believe so we can follow them again more closely.

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

Ranier

It absolutely is an edge of the seat adventure that they are on! I've been following their blog since the construction phase of the Sling 4.

There was a small clip there where James was showing someone how the MGL EFIS works but it was shot from outside the plane and you really could not see any detail.

Since they have so much time on their hands during those 20+ hour legs, maybe you could send them a note and talk them into doing an in-flight demo video of the EFIS showing how the AP tracks, screen selection, customization (if they have done any), engine monitoring, etc...

With James narrating, I'm sure it will be very informative and entertaining!

Rainier, good on 'ya for mentioning the Sling-4 adventure. This time it's with 4 alternating pilots (vs. only 2 for the LSA Sling's Circle) but that doesn't make the 20 hour legs any more endurable for any of them. Such serious & capable yet light-hearted and fun-filled guys - we could all benefit by rubbing elbows with them just a bit.

If 'The Airplane Factory' had the same commercial history & prior success that Vans enjoys, IMO the Sling would be in a hot contest with the -12. Very handsome and capable a/c.

Jack

Well, they will likely never match VAN's numbers - but they are on about serial number 50 now for the Sling-2 (The Sling-4 is still having it's "proving flight" as we type).
To put this into perspective, "50" for a country like the U.S. is peanuts. "50" for the Aircraft's factory's home country of South Africa is phenomenal.

BTW, just for the record, MGL has a Sling-2 on order which will join MGL's fleet of development aircraft. MGL's Sling is a little special: It is the first to be flush riveted using countersunk pop rivets.

MGL did consider an RV-12 but the Sling won the race hands down even though the RV is slightly faster. The reason is obvious if you put them next to each other. The Sling is an absolute beauty of an aircraft while the RV-12 is, well, in all due respect, perhaps not exactly the prettiest aircraft VAN's has managed to make (This is the only gripe I have with the 12).

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

Rainier, good on 'ya for mentioning the Sling-4 adventure. This time it's with 4 alternating pilots (vs. only 2 for the LSA Sling's Circle) but that doesn't make the 20 hour legs any more endurable for any of them. Such serious & capable yet light-hearted and fun-filled guys - we could all benefit by rubbing elbows with them just a bit.

If 'The Airplane Factory' had the same commercial history & prior success that Vans enjoys, IMO the Sling would be in a hot contest with the -12. Very handsome and capable a/c.

Jack

MGL did consider an RV-12 but the Sling won the race hands down even though the RV is slightly faster. The reason is obvious if you put them next to each other. The Sling is an absolute beauty of an aircraft while the RV-12 is, well, in all due respect, perhaps not exactly the prettiest aircraft VAN's has managed to make (This is the only gripe I have with the 12).

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

I agree, but most of the cheerleaders in my class are now divorced..............:eek:

I agree, but most of the cheerleaders in my class are now divorced..............:eek:

Ha !
Yes, I know what you mean.
But that is why I buy a pretty AIRCRAFT. It does not age (No, it doesn't !!!).
I get old but my plane is still just like she was...

Well, at least that's something...

Here is what I mean. You will agree that the Sling looks much more like an RV as does the RV.

Sling%20vs%20RV12.jpg

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

Last edited:
Ha !
Yes, I know what you mean.
But that is why I buy a pretty AIRCRAFT. It does not age (No, it doesn't !!!).
I get old but my plane is still just like she was...

Well, at least that's something...

Here is what I mean. You will agree that the Sling looks much more like an RV as does the RV.

Sling%20vs%20RV12.jpg

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

Rainier, You may not look as good either if your picture was taken with your pants off...................:D

For those that have missed it, James and Jean have safely arrived on U.S. soil (and so has their Sling).
Remarkably, despite the long flight from Honolulu and the head winds all the way up to 30 knots, they where not concerned about their range...

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

OK, this is getting truly epic.
Mike and Jean are now in Rio.
They have decided to fly direct Rio to Cape Town, South Africa in their Rotax 914 powered Sling 4.
This is a distance of some 3300 nautical miles over the Altantic. All of it.
Departure set for Wednesday, weather permitting.

Live tracking at:

www.AirplaneFactory.co.za

Rainier

Back