What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What should I be aware of while buying RV4?

jantar

I am building RV7 but it is going so slow I want something to fly now. I am looking at a number of RVs and I started to think about the RV4. I am only 150 lb and my wife is 140 lb so we are made for RV4.

Is there anything I should know about like common building mistakes?
What about spar construction on models shipped at the beginning of 90s?
What should I look at in terms of airframe quality on this model?
Anything else I can?t think of?

One of the important things to look for in a "pre-owned" RV-4 is the upper and lower firewall weldments. Many of these exibit cracks, especially on airplanes that have been used for aerobatics and flown from unimproved fields.
Mel...DAR

Yes, and quite a few of them have wrinkled lower firewalls also. This can be indicative of the cracked weldments but not necessarily. A friend of mine bought one like this which I am flying right now but so far there have been no problems and no visible cracks. This one was built in the late 80's and finished in the early 90's. It's a sweet flyin' little bird. Basically the "4" is a single seat airplane with 2 seats. The back seat is for little people. Anything over an hour in the back gives me cramps and I'm 5' 10"!

Cheers, Pete

Give the trailing edge of both elevators a good look-see. Some exhibit cracking. If it has electric flaps, be sure and look at the motor closely. Make sure it's clean and doesn't have any smoke marks on it. I say that because mine started smoking. I now have manual flaps. :)

Back