What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fly In north of Albany, NY

Phlyan Pan

Well Known Member
In case anyone is interested this year is the 4th annual Wings and Wheels event at NY37. It is a combination fly-in and car show with food, music, arts and crafts, etc. Weather looks better than usual this year and it should be a very good time.

Flyer here: http://www.602.eaachapter.org//documents/Fly In Flyers/wingswheels2011.jpg

Web page here: http://galwaywingsnwheels.yolasite.com/

The field is grass which is usually very well maintained. If anyone has any questions please don't hesitate to ask me. I learned to fly out of this field and our local EAA chapter is helping out. Hope to see some of you there!

Fly in question??.

Travis,

Since it's a private field do we need to gain approval to land?

Or is this field open to the public for this event?

Thanks,

It's open to the public who drive in so I always assumed it was open to the flying public as well but I will verify with one of the organizers and let you know.

That was a GREAT show!

I Highly recommend Wings-n-Wheels in Galway!

I really wasn't prepared to take pictures and snapped off a couple just in time for some fly by's!

No zoom lens! and No! the T-6 was NOT taking off....this was their version of a LOW pass :eek:

DSC02542.jpg

DSC02554.jpg

DSC02555.jpg

DSC02533.jpg

DSC02532.jpg

The Grass runway was in great shape, parking was also good, but I really should have removed my wheel pants.

Thanks for the tip Travis!

NY50 - Sept 3rd fly in Pig BBQ

Second chance Vlad!

NY50 is only about 3 miles southwest the NY37 Galway airport.

Could be another good flyin there.

it was one of those perfect days in the NE. this is one of my favorite flyin places. sorry i missed it but a helo trip for a family reunion in reading PA that turned out fantastic. blue skys to all. keep flyn those rvs.
img1429i.jpg

Thanks for the tip Travis!

Very welcome! We were glad to have everyone who showed up. We've run this event for 4 years in a row now and I believe this is the first time we've not had any rain.

I saw that beautiful RV8 come in and I knew it had to be you. I apologize I didn't get a chance to introduce myself. I was the crossing guard directly across from the control tower. By the time I was relieved I was walking toward you only to see you fire up and taxi out.

Did you have any problems with the wheel pants? The runway is usually very smooth but it does have a knoll and a downhill section that can be a bit tricky if you're not used to it.

No zoom lens! and No! the T-6 was NOT taking off....this was their version of a LOW pass :eek:

Yes the Murphys have been flying shows in their T-6s and P-51 for a couple of years now. They are impressive. Equally impressive from inside the cockpits I might add. :)

Rumor has it that some members of the Aeroshell team spent a portion of last week out here working with them although I didn't get a chance to ask what they were working on. I did see a few elements of the routine that were not present in years past though.

And yes, for those of you who missed it, there will be another fly in on Labor Day weekend at Johnson's field which is only 3 miles away. No cars at this show and only aircraft or guests are allowed so the general public will not be attending. There will be a pig roast and a ton of food as well as a more friendly and laid back atmosphere with mostly aviation folks there. Hope to see everyone there...

I believe you attended the Johnson fly in last year Eddie? Perhaps you could give your impression of the event.

Wheel pants

Travis, I had no issues with them, but was nervous once I started to taxi. I took it slow and mapped out a course that was fairly flat.

It was a very good field!

I'll try to make it to the pig roast.

Regards,

Travis, I had no issues with them, but was nervous once I started to taxi. I took it slow and mapped out a course that was fairly flat.

Regards,

Ah yes, there is some ledgerock to one side of the taxi area that can be a bit treacherous as well as a spot where the water runs off and makes a bit of a ditch.

Johnson's taxi areas don't have any such areas that I'm aware of, but if you depart to the west keep an eye out for the radio tower. That thing scares me.

Back