What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Telling K1000s apart

ddnebert

Well Known Member
I am to the stage of putting together the bellcrank apparatus in the tailcone and on the stiffeners that have been countersunk, it requires two different kinds of K1000 nutplates. I received from Vans the -04 and -08 nutplates together and wonder, how does one tell the difference between the various versions of these K1000 nutplates? Is there some dimension or diagram I should be aware of?

size

So the number -04 would mean a #4 screw would fit it? The odd thing is that an -03 and -08 are being requested for identically drilled hole sizes (#30).

Are you sure you're not confusing a K1000-04 with a K1000-4? The latter is the 1/4" platenut and I know there are a few of those that I've used for the fuse. I don't think I've yet to come across a K1000-04, but I haven't got quite as far as you. Sorry if this isn't your problem. No insult intended! I know that I've sometimes misread the plans. Good luck.

Recheck your plans and see where the battery plate attaches section 10-23 with AN-3-5A AN bolts? Thats where you use the -3 K1000's. The bellcrank plate attaches to the ribs with 515-8R8 screws and K1000-8. The 4 each, K1000-4's are used to hold the master relay and the battery hold down bolts.

I have found it a good practice to jump ahead to the section where the part that would attach to a given nutplate is actually installed, that way you can see what the bolt/screw callout is and make sure you have the right nutplate. It has saved me several dimples and countersinks that would have been hard to do if I waited till after assembly. There are a few spots in the plans especially on the fuselage that neglect to tell you when to dimple or C/S I assume it is that way cause by then you should know better. Look in the manual at your hardware ID chart, that will help you make sure you have the correct piece as well.

Rick S.
RV-10
Fuselage & Finishing

Last edited:
Nutplate system

The nutplate system goes like this...

K1000 is non-countersunk/dimpled and the -? is for An bolt sizes and the -0? is for Screw sizes.

K1100 is countersunk/dimpled and the -? is for AN bolt sizes and the -0? is for screw sizes.

The 21051 (doing this by memory) I believe are the non-cs/dimpled plates with both rivets on the same side instead of one on each side of the threads.

The 21053 are the cs/dimpled plates that are also offset.

The MK1000's are miniature versions of the others, that are only used in the ailerons and/or flaps on the -10, I believe.

The 21055's are for a corner, which I don't believe are used in the -10 unless you do something custom. I have only used these in the Pitot mount from Gretz.

Back