What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Amp Draw ?

Jeff Vaughan

Well Known Member
Any one out there know what the amp draw is for the following:

Vans Flap motor
Vans FACIT Fuel boost pump
Vans Primer

Working on my wiring and I can not locate this info.

Thanks

Jeff Vaughan
7A

Juice

I think there are a couple of threads on this but my guess is
Fuel pump 1.7A
Flaps 1.5 A (up to 3 amps under high load)

If you have the primer solenoid you could hook it up with a multimeter that has an ammeter. Just remember to switch it to high amps, because my multimeter blows a fuse when I forget.
G

Last edited:
loads

Some of the info is here (3rd link down)

electrical load

I have not confirmed everything on flight testing, but at runup, with lights on, fuel pump on, avionics on (basically full load except flaps), I see about 16-18 amps, which matches the spreadsheet.

No load, I see 3-5 amps, which is battery charging current, field current and avionics on receive/standby. If the battery is low, this current increases.

No info on the primer pump, since it's not (normally) used in flight.

Vern Little
9A

Flap Amperage

Jeff,

I just was measuring this on my flap motor the other day. Without the flaps connected (just moving the weldment), it seemed to max at around 1.75 amps. I suspect it may be higher with a higher load (flaps connected).

Scott

tx_jayhawk said:
I just was measuring this on my flap motor the other day. Without the flaps connected (just moving the weldment), it seemed to max at around 1.75 amps. I suspect it may be higher with a higher load (flaps connected).

Many people use a 5A fuse for their flaps, then change to a 7.5A fuse after the first few times they blow the fuse in flight - myself included. :) The current draw is a lot highter with air loads on the flaps.

mcb

Well whatever the actual current draw is it can easily be checked without flying the plane. When the flap motor reachs the end of its travel and the clutch starts slipping is pretty much the highest load this motor will ever see...

-Jeff

5 amp flap circuit breaker

mickey asked what size potter/brumfield circuit breaker pops on my 7A when I deploy full flaps above 100kts. 5 amp resetabl CB.

I landed about ten times today and didn't pop it so I don't think it will ever happen again.

I believe Van's flap limits are: 1/2 flap...110 mph. Full flap...100 mph.
These are for the aerobatic RVs. Not sure about the -9 & -10.
Mel...DAR

Any one out there know what the amp draw is for the following:

Vans Flap motor
Vans FACIT Fuel boost pump
Vans Primer

Working on my wiring and I can not locate this info.

Thanks

Jeff Vaughan
7A
Facet 40108 fuel pump = 0.8 amp max
Source: http://www.wicksaircraft.com/catalog/product_cat.php/subid=1410/index.html

Parker primer B2DX62 = 0.5 amp ("normally closed", whatever that means)
Source: http://www.wicksaircraft.com/catalog/product_detail.php/pid=4244~subid=1162/index.html

Note: these are just the numbers provided in Wick's catalog.

One of the folks who frequents this site has this available on his site.

Vertical Power.

http://www.verticalpower.com/docs/Device_Amps.pdf
Thanks Mike. It's good to have a ballpark number at least.

One problem that I see with this list though, is that it's very generic and some of the numbers may be questionable. (It seems as though verticalpower is simply listing numbers that other builders have reported to them.) For example, the vertical power document doesn't identify their fuel pumps. There are multiple Facet pumps, for example, that each draw a little differently (although the Spruce catalog indicates all of their 12V Facets draw <= 1AMP "at max. delivery." Also, I don't think there is any such thing as a "Van's" pump (that, according to the document, draws 3.77AMPs). That seems like an awful big number, unless it is for the high pressure fuel injected pump. If, on the other hand, we're meaning the Facet 40108 which Van's requires for their carbed versions, again, that should only be 0.8 amps if the Wick's and Spruce catalogs are correct.

Also, on the flaps... while the flaps only draw 3.87AMPs under air load according to the verticalpower doc., this number is apparently significantly higher when the flaps are under load. A number of builders have reported, in the archives, that they had to up their fuses to 7.0 once they started flying.

It would be nice if someone would put together an accurate list for those who are planning their panels. It would certainly help me! Thanks again, though, for the list Mike. I'll start there but be sure to check everything against other sources.

Last edited:
When the flap motor reachs the end of its travel and the clutch starts slipping is pretty much the highest load this motor will ever see...

The flap mechanism seems to run off the end of the leadscrew and the motor free-wheels at the limit. There seems to be very little load mechanically (or electrically) at this point.

BTW Vans electrical wiring harness calls out a 5A CCT breaker for the flaps.
Doug

Current pull on various devices

One problem that I see with this list though, is that it's very generic and some of the numbers may be questionable. (It seems as though verticalpower is simply listing numbers that other builders have reported to them.) For example, the vertical power document doesn't identify their fuel pumps.

It would be nice if someone would put together an accurate list for those who are planning their panels. It would certainly help me! Thanks again, though, for the list Mike. I'll start there but be sure to check everything against other sources.

You're right - our list at Vertical Power isn't exhaustive, but meant as a guideline for planning. Always check the vendor's data sheet(s) for the fuse size information. Maybe over time, some of our customers will send in their actual loads (total) and device specific loads (e.g. Garmin 430 draws Z amps). It would obviously be a large list, but quite helpful for anyone who wanted a look.

Also, on the flaps... while the flaps only draw 3.87AMPs under air load according to the verticalpower doc., this number is apparently significantly higher when the flaps are under load. A number of builders have reported, in the archives, that they had to up their fuses to 7.0 once they started flying.

As far as the flaps, it's an odd situation.. yes, Van's does specify 5A and that usually works fine. I blew my 5A fuse on the first flight, then swithced to 7.5A. Now with the Vertical Power system, I have it set at 5A and it works fine. Most others I know are fine with the 5A fuse. The load does spike up a bit sometimes, and there are tolerances on fuses. As you may know, a 5A fuse does not blow at 5.1A. There is some time needed for the CB or fuse to heat up, and the higher over the rated current the load is the faster it heats up and blows. Go look at a spec sheet and you'll see a curve of current load vs time.

Steve, we ARE putting together the list but we simply don't have the time or resources to test every load out there. If anyone, incuding yourself, wants to send us the results of research they've done then we will include it in the list. It's already a combination of input from many folks. And, yes, we should clarify what type of fuel pump it is (AFP for FI). ;)

Thanks Marc. No criticism of your list was intended. It's been helpful to have someplace to start. As you mention, and as I already mentioned before, it just needs to be corroborated by other sources.

Back