What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vans AD on RV-6A Nosegear Leg

Hi All

I recently purchased an RV6A that was completed in 1998. I noticed that Van put out an AD on the Nosegear leg recommending that it be replaced.

The Builder of this plane had the gear leg magnafluxed in 1999 and dye tested in 2001. Both times there were no signs of cracks.

My question is how difficult is this to have the gear leg replaced? How much downtime can I expect and what is the cost's?

Today I took the weight off the nosegear and noticed there is some play in it. I could wiggle it a bit from side to side. Is this a problem? I have not experienced any shimming when taking off or landing.

My RV6A kit was purchased in 1996. Several years later, Van's came out with the replacement, which was tested to many cycles of abuse, and technically much stronger than the original.

It was just a case of packing up the old gear leg, sending it back, and getting a replacement for slightly less than $100.00

As I remember, the old leg was used to match drill the new leg hole (at Van's), but I'm not positive.

It's a straight forward and simple replacement, unless the old leg uses the wood & fiberglass dampening setup, which you would just do away with. The new leg can just use the newer pre-made fiberglass fairing. Wood dampening is up to individual owners.

L.Adamson

Van's Does Not Issue ADs

Contact Van's is the best bet to get the full story. They don't issue ADs but like other manufacturers they do issue service bulletins from time to time in response to field problems. Some trouble was experienced at the lower bend in the gear leg (they broke off) and it was a prudent response thing by Van's. There was some discussion about the manufacturing process which was fixed I assume since I never heard anymore about it. As I recall, nondestructive testing was one of the options to assure your strut was OK. One bolt holds the strut in the airplane and one nut holds the fork on the bottom of the strut so it is not a major operation to replace the strut if the new one is drilled for your mount. As far as the loosness of the strut, check the torque on the bolt that holds it in the engine mount socket. I found mine was wobbley during the condition inspection last month and I tightened the bolt to correct the condition.

Bob Axsom

Back