What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Breitling B-1 Professional Watch

DeltaRomeo

doug reeves: unfluencer
Staff member
I'm into a very small subset of aviation style watches. Let me refocus a bit - I'm not into the Citizen Wingman Blue Angels model or the Chase-Durer marketed-to-millions lines, but rather watches worn by folks with their pink hides in the seat during history-making events. Examples: What was on Pete Knight's wrist when he flew the X-15 serial #2 on the fastest flight of the program (mach 6.72) on Oct 3, 1967? A 1967 Rolex GMT Master (not the flashier style sold today). What was Buzz Aldrin wearing on his right wrist (pic) when he walked on the moon? A NASA-issued 1968 Omega Speedmaster Professional (N.Armstrong left his in the Lunar Module to act as a replacement timer for a faulty panel-mounted mission clock). more

Nice watch. If during any further review, you find someone wanting to give one away for testing purposes...please email.

I appreciate a good watch but it goes two ways when it comes time to break out the cash. I tend to stay with what's safe with the Frau...and works. :eek:

The best is the ones with the lights for walking to the bathroom in pitch darkness :D

John
http://www.experimentalrv7.com
rvglare.JPG

Breitling Chrono Avenger

Breitling makes one of the finest watches known to man. My nephew owns a jewlery store and sends a ton of Rolex watches in to be "tuned". I have the Breitling Chrono Avenger and would have to say I love it. It is a big watch but after wearing it a while you hardly notice it. First thing I wanted in a watch was one that didn't eat batteries every 12 months. The Avenger is an automatic, so I don't have to get batteries. But, if you let it set for a few days, it will "go to sleep". Oh well, just a good reason to not take it off.
chronoavenger4hy.jpg
[/URL]

Seems to me you stacked the deck in favor of the watch you wanted to pick. You left off your biggest factor- snob appeal.:D

IMHO, a number of the criteria are not particularly important, and might even be a distraction- things like dual digital/analog display, rotary calculators, dual time zone readouts... All that is really needed in a watch is low cost, accuracy, clarity, and a timer. A simple aviation calculator, a GPS, and possibly a large readout digital timer are likely more useful.

You get it or you don't

TerryPancake said:
Breitling makes one of the finest watches known to man. The Avenger is an automatic, so I don't have to get batteries. But, if you let it set for a few days, it will "go to sleep". Oh well, just a good reason to not take it off.
The problem I have with all the fancy watches is they really are hard to read at night or even in the day with all the tiny tiny marks.

I have a Automatic watch winder, which sits on my dresser, just bought it from e-Bay. It holds and winds both of my auto watches. It was less than $40 and is a beautiful cherry wood case. It has a drawer to hold two more watches.

My Rolex Explore II is 12-13 years old and keeps good time. I like it because it keeps time, easy to read, 24 hour GMT time and (local) hour hand. The hour hand can be set without stopping the watch (second hand) for differnt time zones. Also you can stop the second hand by pulling the crown out to the last position for the time hack feature. Also I like that it appreciates in value. I could easily sell it for $500-$700 more than I paid for it.

Of course mechanical watches need occasional overhaul service, which is many hundred, so the cost of battery for quartz watches is not a great argument, since an overhaul is more than you pay for batteries. Rolex I recall says 5 years. A master watch makers told me 10 years or as long as it runs well. I have not had it overhauled yet (13 years), but as long as it runs well, I'll hold off for a few more years. I did have it adjusted once in the first two years, at no charge.

Why have a mechanical watch? Quartz watches are boring and uninteresting. Mechanical watches have a mystic and tradition about them.

Quartz electrical wrist watches where developed in 1959, first became commercial in 1969 and it was not till 1978 it became widely available and reasonable in cost. Of course they where expensive for the time. Then Japan made them cheaper and cheaper. Now Japan has been put out of the market lead by China. So no wounder many of the early aviation records where set with mechanical watches on board.

There's no explaining having a mechanical watch. You either dig them for their intrinsic coolness or you don't. I dig them. Before 1970 it was really the only way to go. The amazing thing is a mechanical watch can keep time within 1-2 seconds a day (Chronograph standards).

Reasonable Accuracy Expectations by Type of Watch Seconds gain/loss per day

Best Accuracy: +/-Worst +/-Typical +/-Best
Vintage mechanical watch in good repair: +/-60 +/-15 +/-5 <99.9826%
Modern mechanical watch non-certified: +/-10 +/-5 +/-2 <99.9942%
Modern mechanical watch chronometer certified: +6/-4 +/-3 +/-1 <99.9977%
Modern quartz watch non-certified (normal): +/-2 +/-1 +/-0.1 <99.9998%
Modern quartz watch chronometer certified (rare): +/-0.02 +/-0.02 +/-0.0 <99.9999%

My Explorer II is a modern certified chronometer, and is about +/-3 sec a day, or about 1.5 minutes a month. However over many days and weeks depending on how I wear it, temp and resting postion (when you have it off -Dial Up, Crown Down, Dial Down, Crown Left, Crown Up, Crown Right), it can gain or loose speed, which balances out.

A mechanical/automatic watch does not have to be expensive to be accurate either.

I don't care about calculator, gps. I want accurate time, local and GMT plus date. My Explorer II does all that. I hope to have it 40 years from now. I wear it every day. G

Last edited:
New B1?

Doug the word I got from a Breitling vender at Osh was that there is going to be a newer version of the B1 with a compass rose on the bezel in place of the countdown timer. Personally I would prefer the countdown bezel.

Thanks for the update, John. I agree w/you. The countdown timer bezel is very, very helpful for me.

"Kids, 17 minutes untile we leave for soccer practice!!!"

I use it daily...multiple times.

b,
d

http://www.timex.com/bin/detail.tmx?item=048148846012

That's what I wear flying (I rarely wear a watch otherwise...I'm surrounded all day by devices and people reminding me of meetings and the like). The ONLY reason I got it was for the rotating compass bevel and easily readable face. I'm guessing that most of you are flying around with GPS's, or at least some sort of DG. I'm mostly flying around in an old Citabria that's got nothing but a wet compass. The rotating bezel on the watch is invaluble for quickly getting your orientation when you're looking for runways and things like that!

...but I'll gladly trade it for a B-1 :D

Back