What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

80" Sensenich, 160hp Flight results

N162RV

I recently put a new 80? pitch Sensenich propeller on my 160HP RV6A. I made a cross country trip and here are my initial results. At 8500? at approximately 60 degrees F, I was indicating 158 mph, 2530 rpms at WOT and 1680 lbs. After doing the math that wound up being 185 mph TAS and the ground speed according to my GPS was 195 mph which would be about right as there should have been a slight 5-8 knot tail wind component according to Dans web sites wind calculator. After climbing to 9500? the results were still 158 mph indicated, 58deg F, 2500 rpm at WOT which works out to 188 mph TAS, 197 mph GPS ground speed. Again with the expected tail winds this was right on. This is the first time I have been able to fly at WOT and the CHTs and the EGTs were much more uniform.
All in all the new prop is doing exactly as advertised. Note: These are not super picky test pilot figures, just what was noted during a flight from a fly-in with my lovely bride taking notes

Back