What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ECI IOX-340 questions

mlw450802

Well Known Member
(Sorry to have posted this twice.
IT was buried deep inside the ethanol hijack so I thought it might get some response as a new thread)

Looking at the ECI website, I only see it mentioned that the stroke has been increased by 0.25" on a 320.
Has anyone seen a list of what else has changed?
Same cylinders but different piston (wrist pin moved)?
Same cylinders and pistons but cylinder spaced out .125 inch?
Same rods?
No other changes because piston can easily travel another 1/8" up the bore with no interferences?

These are speculations because I have no experience with the lycoming or its clones.

Reground 320 crank or completely new?

Obviously, depending on what they did, one might be able to easily rebuild a 320 into a 340 (or not).

-mike

Contact

Contact Robbie Attaway who is an ECI rep and fellow RV'er. He has the skinny on the new engine. He an America West pilot (USAir) and may be on a trip, but will call you back quickly.

602-538-6087

do as darwin says...he knows best! ;)

i've talked to robbie on the phone and at SNF, and he is the best contact for the new engine.

I spent some time talking/looking it over. The ECI rep is putting one in his RV-8. We should have some actual data soon when he gets that done.

As far as design and appearance,it is one of the best looking engines I've ever seen.

Crankshaft is different but made from same forging. Con rods are modified on journal end for internal clearance issues with cam shaft but the same as other 320 con rods besides that. Fuel injection system is different. Cold air intake and sump is different. Cylinders have tapered fin barrels and venturi style valve seats but they start as regular 320 cylinders before those mods. So it is a 320 with the above mods.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
"The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at you own risk."

Opinion?

Mahlon,

What are your thoughts/concerns with this new engine?

TIA, your expertise is valued greatly!

Back