What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Daytona beach international

trib

Well Known Member
I'm planning on flying into DAB Monday. Just tying down and staying a couple of days. Any advice? Looking to avoid FBO services we don't need at charges we don't want to pay!

Go into Spruce Creek! I went to college in DAB and I spent almost all of my free time there.

Awesome place. It's just a few miles south of DAB.

Steve

I just realized you live in VA Beach. I moved from DAB to VA Beach. I lived there for 3 or 4 years before moving.

That'll be a great flight. It'll be pretty hard to get lost!

I would recommend not going to spruce creek unless you are authorized. It is a private airpark and dont allow you to just tie down for a few days. Other options include Ormond beach and new Smyrna beach just not or south of Daytona. All have tie down fees however I'm not sure of the prices.

-david

I work at the Creek! If you want to flyin for lunch at the Downwind or get fuel thats OK. under no circumstances can you just leave your A/C there. The airport manager takes a dim view if that.

Last edited:
We used...

ATP Jet Center a couple years ago. Flew our 6 in there for two days and they treated us well. No extra fees or exorbitant prices IIRC. AirNav has a number of responses for ATP if you're interested.

tim, hows it going? welcome back to florida.

all my trips to daytona bike week i have spent the day with sheltair. no charges for the day, no fuel needed to buy. very happy with them.

have a great time.

ormond beach instead

On the trip to Daytona, my wife and I flew first to Va Tech and stayed the night to visit with my youngest daughter, who's a freshman there (I'm an alumni). On the way to Blacksburg, Roanoke reported that my mode C was not working. I was above their airspace with flight following, so no issue except now I wouldn't be able to land at Daytona Beach since it is class C also. I spent a couple hours rerouting around the class C enroute airspaces, and revised to land at Ormond Beach and shifted the rental car there. Had to switch from my package deal thru Expedia and get a rental from Enterprise. Of course, after all this work, mode C worked just fine the next day.

Best part of the story, Ormond Beach Sunrise Aviation charged me nothing for the 2 day tiedown and Enterprise gave me a compact for $45 a day, $10 a day less than the package I had at DAB, and the compact turned out to be a Cadillac Escalade crossover vehicle with 1005 miles on it! This was by far my longest trip flying and was a blast!:cool:

Consider calling the Class C airport. My recollection is that you "may" be able to get in with an hour or so notice without a transponder. Of course that may be iffy so changing to another airport was a sure thing.

Back