What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy side skin fit on 6A slider

Allan Stern

Well Known Member
I redid the side skins on my slider as I had made a mistake. On the passenger side, the skin fits absolutley perfect. Nice and tight against the fuselage. On the pilot side the skin does not fit nice and tight against the fuselage. I have a gap of about 1/8 inch. That was one of the reasons I redid the side skins as on the pilot side I had somehow gotten a bow in the aluminum. Now I have this small gap. Probably has something to do with how you initially fit the canopy frame, slider track and all that and then attach the canopy which flexes everything out of line?

Anyway, I am sure others have had this problem too. So any ideas on how to fix this? I have been thinking of a couple. One is to put a small piece of weather stripping in the small gap between the side skin and fuselage to seal out air. Or secondly, making up some aluminum tabs and riveting them to the side skin, pull the metal a little closer to fuselage and then rivet them to square canopy frame? All in the space between the slider track and skin.

Thanks

Back