What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Observed New F1Boss EVO Rocket Mods

Bob Axsom

Well Known Member
At the Taylor 150 Air Race on 4-2-11 I noticed two things I had not seen before on Mark Frederick's continental 550 powered EVO Rocket. The fairings on the over wing exhaust and the air intake above the spinner. The exhaust fairing looks nice and may help the speed a little but the air intake above the spinner is a mystery - any thoughts on the advantage of this arrangement? Conventional wisdom seems to prefer the lower position.

Bob Axsom

At the Taylor 150 Air Race on 4-2-11 I noticed two things I had not seen before on Mark Frederick's continental 550 powered EVO Rocket. The fairings on the over wing exhaust and the air intake above the spinner. The exhaust fairing looks nice and may help the speed a little but the air intake above the spinner is a mystery - any thoughts on the advantage of this arrangement? Conventional wisdom seems to prefer the lower position.

Bob Axsom

I have not seen it, but I suggested it. His -550 has top induction and this is the best way to ram air into the induction system... Every inch of MP you can recover is worth 3.6 kts of TAS if you are indicating 180 KIAS at the critical altitude which is typical in a Rocket. The P-51A and the P-40 both used the Allison engine with a down draft carb on the rear of the engine and used a scoop on top of instead of below the spinner. Shoving the air into the fuel servo instead of pulling it from on top of the cowling has to yield some additional boost...

Tailwinds,
Doug Rozendaal

So Doug, its you that I have to thank for getting caught like I was going backwards, eh! :p

Bob, don't forget his new upper intersection fairings too...dern it!

He's getting that thing dialed in...its gonna be fast!!

Where's that new BA prop...oh wait, he's workin' on that too! :eek:

Cheers,
Bob

Shoving the air into the fuel servo instead of pulling it from on top of the cowling has to yield some additional boost...

Dynamic pressure recovery either way. One method may do a little better job of recovery than the other, but both should be well above static....

Ole'84 has the best induction system of any naturally aspirated airplane I have flown. I can routinely get 23" MP at 9000 ft. That is incredible!!! My Baron struggles to get 23" at 6000. If I could get the Baron to breath like the Rocket, and raise my 23" critical altitude to 9000 feet, it would add 10 KTAS for the same gas....

In a non-turbo airplane that runs high IAS like a Rocket or RV, the efficiency of the induction system is a huge factor in speed and efficiency.... I will have to find out if the top scoop added any MP over pulling it out of the top cowl...

I am still not convinced that his side exhaust is the best solution.... I need to get some time down there and we need to fly '84 and the Green Machine head to head and see if, or how much, faster it is... I would wager on the same gas that '84 will beat the Green Machine.

But I am not going to challenge him to a climb race..... I flew the green machine very early, before it had fairings and wheel pants, and the climb rate is breath-taking!!!!!

Tailwinds,
Doug Rozendaal

Before & After Photos

This photo was taken at Mitchell, SD before the start of the 2010 AirVenture Cup Race:
IMG_4328.jpg

This photo was taken before the Taylor 150 race:
IMG_4842.jpg

Bob Axsom

Doug,

Here are a couple more pics...our run to the finish, and a closer view of the cowl:
Boss%20and%20Bob.jpg

Boss%20and%20Bob1.jpg

Mark said he was seeing 30", maybe 30+. I was not that day...most I've seen in Taylor is 29"...and I need to smooth my Ram Air intake and door. Mark said 84 had great MP and great speed when he ran it at Reno, and I saw you at Taylor before the race and was hoping you'd come to run...but know you're busy. Would love to see how 84 gets such good recovery on the Lyc...so as to pilfer the tech, of course! Any pics?

Mark's 550 was running hot that day too, and he's looking at the exhaust and the cooling air exits...considering altering the size and shape of the ducts, both inside and out.

I'd love to see 84 and Pesky (Green) run...fun match race! And if ya ever get tired of Ol' 84, I know a guy that really likes red airplanes! ;)

Cheers,
Bob

Geez Bob!

Bob Axsom

Well, it seems that what is obvious to me is not that way to others! Maybe I AM the only one with 'an amazing grasp of the obvious'?:D

The 550 has a top induction setup - very well thought out, and it runs LOP very easily right out of the box. The problem on my installation was MP - it was always a bit less than ambient, and I knew this was costing me MPH. So, I copied the P40/P51 (Allison equipped) setup. I think it turned out pretty good, but I do not have the real estate to get it exactly right. I saw 30" or maybe just a bit more during the race, so it is better, but nowhere near what Ole 84 is capable of. That plane would show very close to 31" on the dang takeoff roll at Taylor (elev 600"), so this is without the benefit of ram!

As for Doug telling me to do this, my memory does not come up with this particular event, so I claim it as my own...copying....:rolleyes:

In any case, I have never seen an idea so good that I could not copy it!

In fact, I'm gonna copy the exhaust fairing from the Curtiss Helldiver next. As for why I have the side exhaust? I'm payin' for all that noise, and I want to hear it!

Carry on!
Mark

In any case, I have never seen an idea so good that I could not copy it!
Carry on!
Mark

Well Mark, being of the same mindset, and disregarding the small detail that I'm trying to keep up with you, can ya share how 84's induction system became so efficient...and how it may be adapted to...well...perhaps a Super Six? ;)

Pictures from you or Doug? :)

Cheers,
Bob

Last edited:
BIG bucks

Well Mark, being of the same mindset, and disregarding the small detail that I'm trying to keep up with you, can ya share how 84's induction system became so efficient...and how it may be adapted to...well...perhaps a Super Six? ;)

Pictures from you or Doug? :)

Cheers,
Bob

First, call Rhonda at Barrett Engines and get one of her cold air systems, then call Don at Airflow and get an FM300 fuel controller....all up, about $8K, or 8 aircraft financial units. Piece o cake!

Mark

Rocket,

I saw 30-30.5 MP but I did not see the 247.

What gives on that.

Wing design.
Front Leg:eek: Maybe LongEZ fold up gear:confused:

Your getting the speed out of yours.
What is the prop set at.
Can I get more speed pulling the prop back to 2600.

I hope Bob A doesn't see this post:rolleyes:

50/50

Hey Boomer:

Once I caught up to Bob Mills, I pulled back to 2400 turns, but left the GO lever in the corner. Flew the 2nd half of the race in formation. 2600 is probably a good number for this prop, but it sure sounds better at 2750!

Carry on!
Mark

in the picture

It looks like the RV has smoke on and is keeping up with the rocket. Were they in the race? please explain a little more about the RV. thanks.

Thanks Rocket.
Will try that and see if I can get Mach .77

That is no regular RV. Thats Bob Mills SuperSix. Lots of
Smoke Lots of engine and very fast and it looks good too.

He trying to keep up with Rocket.

Can't wait to watch them race again even though I am
about 3 laps behind in Nascar rules:D

The Super 6 has a smoke system

The two planes were flying in the Taylor 150 at Taylor, Texas on Saturday 4-2-11. Both of the planes and pilots are special. Check the "who's in list" for the races under the "Calendar of Events" at www.sportairrace.org for Bob Mills Race #43 and the Rocket Man himself Mark Frederick Race #CF. If the Canadian Rocket Men (Tom Martin Race #109 and Wayne Hadath Race #14) are not entered, Bob and Mark will probably have the fastest fixed gear airplanes in the race - any race. There are 20 races in the schedule this season (most are not open for declaring an entry yet) but I just checked and for now they are not on the existing entry lists.

Bob Axsom

Bob Mills RV-Super 6

IMG_4843.jpg

This is a snap shot taken at Taylor before the 4-2-11 race. It is important to date the photo because it may look different soon as the mods continue.

Bob Axsom

Probably...

Rocket,

..........Can I get more speed pulling the prop back to 2600.

I hope Bob A doesn't see this post:rolleyes:

I asked Alan Barrett if I could leave my engine wide open for 45 minutes, during a XC race last year. He remarked that I could run WOT for the life of the engine!

That said, he pointed out, "You might wanna try something less than 2700 RPM for a bit more "bite" from the prop." So I did and discovered 2 more MPH at 2640, according to my D-100 TAS. Went from 209 MPH TAS to 211.

Best,

rockets on video at race

Betty Meyer of the Alabama Aviator site, took some video at a race in 2009 and it has some nice shots of the racing rockets. That 550 sounds REALLY good. There is a youtube of Wayne's rocket making the speed dash too. Not the best video but it sure sounds good.

http://www.alabamaaviator.com/index.asp?record_no=16794

click on video link farther down the page

search Tennessee Valley Speed Dash on youtube for the other video.

CM

Last edited:
Fun thread...and see, go skiing one day and then fly with buds and build wooden RV formation models the next day, and ya miss a lot here on VAF! :)

First, call Rhonda at Barrett Engines and get one of her cold air systems, then call Don at Airflow and get an FM300 fuel controller....all up, about $8K, or 8 aircraft financial units. Piece o cake!

Mark

Roger all...expensive cake...tasty, but expensive! Thanks for the info...maybe between the 2012 and 2103 seasons, eh! (Prop and exit area first!)

...about $2,666 per added knot:) $8,000 ? 3 = 2,666:D

Best,

Good calcs Pierre...the BA prop is about a grand per knot...hopefully! Saving pennies up now!

Hey Boomer:

Once I caught up to Bob Mills, I pulled back to 2400 turns, but left the GO lever in the corner. Flew the 2nd half of the race in formation. 2600 is probably a good number for this prop, but it sure sounds better at 2750!

Carry on!
Mark

That post hurts on so many levels, I just can't tell ya! :p

It looks like the RV has smoke on and is keeping up with the rocket. Were they in the race? please explain a little more about the RV. thanks.

As mentioned ever so painfully above ;), Mark caught me after about 50 miles, now that his beast was breathing well, and his fairings were all staying on :p. However, his temps were hi, so we had a great time going around the course, comparing engine readings, listening to position calls, and trying to suck in the Turbo Rocket ahead of us...which we were doing slowly, till he dove for the finish. As we neared the finish, Mark showed me he had been toying with me, and pushed up the throttle to give the finish crowd at Macho Grande a show. I stayed behind him and pedaled as fast as I could go. My guess is it sounded pretty cool on the ground!

Thanks Rocket.
Will try that and see if I can get Mach .77

That is no regular RV. Thats Bob Mills SuperSix. Lots of
Smoke Lots of engine and very fast and it looks good too.

He trying to keep up with Rocket.

Can't wait to watch them race again even though I am
about 3 laps behind in Nascar rules:D

Thanks Boomer, right back atcha!

This is a snap shot taken at Taylor before the 4-2-11 race. It is important to date the photo because it may look different soon as the mods continue.

Bob Axsom

Count on that! ;)

I asked Alan Barrett if I could leave my engine wide open for 45 minutes, during a XC race last year. He remarked that I could run WOT for the life of the engine!

That said, he pointed out, "You might wanna try something less than 2700 RPM for a bit more "bite" from the prop." So I did and discovered 2 more MPH at 2640, according to my D-100 TAS. Went from 209 MPH TAS to 211.

Best,

Guess what the next series of tests will be! :D We'll see if the same is true for the D-twist paddle. So far more RPM has been faster, but I skipped from 2500 to 2700. Guess I need to go in smaller increments!

And Pierre, its funny...even though I balanced my prop at 2300 RPM, its smoother at 2700...engine just likes it there (my wallet doesn't, but the fun meter does!) :rolleyes:

Those darn Rockets all seem to be getting faster, and at a faster rate. Back into the books and the Tom M, Mark F, Wayne H, Bob A and Dan H study guides!

Cheers,
Bob

More data

Best,

Hey Pierre:

Which prop are you running?

Thx
Mark

She thinks I listen to her, or something like that! :D

It's mostly something like that.....

If you buy an engine from BPE, not only do you get a great motor but Allen will throw in a huge greasy hamburger with cheese and fried onions at a place not far from the airport, I think it's Hank Hamburgers, or something like that. Whatever its called, it is a memorable joint.

(The engine is running fine, Allen, no oil leaks which is most unusual for a Lycoming. I have not yet found a fuel pump that is agreeable with E10 fuel but Aero Accessories is working on certification of one.)

This is an interesting thread about speed and more speed.

If you buy an engine from BPE, not only do you get a great motor but Allen will throw in a huge greasy hamburger with cheese and fried onions at a place not far from the airport

Ha! I got a chicken with purple polka dot panties. Rhonda gave it to me. It was probably Allens's ;)

fc3eb6.jpg

Ha! I got a chicken with purple polka dot panties. Rhonda gave it to me. It was probably Allens's ;)

fc3eb6.jpg

Not just plane wrong....

Sick and Wrong....

If it wasn't bad enough that she gave it to you, that you would put it in your car, and then post a pic..... Geez... A psych eval may be in order here......

I will have to rethink my engine overhaul options......

Tailwinds

Sick would be posting a picture of the cheeseburger.

Henrietta loves you too ;)

v7yxzm.jpg

Last edited:
Sick would be posting a picture of the cheeseburger.

Henrietta loves you too ;)

True, but if a cheeseburger...or Henrietta...comes with a cold air system, I may have to rethink the timing of this mod! :D

Funny stuff!

Cheers,
Bob

Allen, I'm running a Hartzell...

...blended airfoil on my -10.

BTW, a friend of mine has a 300 HP Lyc in his -10 but a three bladed Whirlwind prop and with my (only) 260 HP, I am 7 knots faster at 75% power/8000'.

176K vs. 168K!!

Best,

Yeah, but...

BTW, a friend of mine has a 300 HP Lyc in his -10 but a three bladed Whirlwind prop and with my (only) 260 HP, I am 7 knots faster at 75% power/8000'.

176K vs. 168K!!

Best,

What is the exact blade designation? C-hub, correct?

Thx
Mark

176K vs. 168K!!

Best,

I have seen 176K at 75%.
Cold air intake, direct ram (filter by-passed).
FP prop, 2800 rpm, 187 HP.
:)
:)

yep

The 8068 designation is the blade type, and yours has a D in the designation, so it has a bit more helix angle compared to the forging as produced.

It looks like the hub is a std hub in your case, where we Rocket drivers get a different clocking to reduce vibration. Could be that the larger, heavier airframe absorbs the pulses better? We also use the M hub, which is a bit longer, so the props will not interchange without some cowling mods...

Carry on!
Mark

You probably know...

...what it looks like but here it is being balanced:

DSCN0005.jpg

Terry Burch from Seattle supervised the build and the spinner's openings for the blade hubs, just baarely provide enough clearance for angle change...lowest drag.

Not sure why you guys can't run it...My Lyc has to be close to yours??

Best,

What Keith Philips at Spruce Creek said....

...."Once you've been supersonic at 100', EVERYTHING else is slow!"

Best,

Hey Bob,

60" MP? Sounds like a case for War Emergency Power

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_emergency_power

Smokey

PS: All this race talk is cool, but once you've seen 800 KCAS at 500' AGL at close to 60,000 PPH of kerosene, all else pales.
Ruined for life, I'm sure you can relate. :)

Smokey,

I think WEP is what Mark used at Taylor last month! But he had to pull back, so once he gets "WEP cooling" figured out, its gonna be a real dogfight out there! I wondered what he meant when, right at the finish, he said, "now I'm gonna break out a can of WEP ... on ya!" Then I saw his tailpipe! :(

And it is a heap of fun. I know you have great missions and great passion for them, but do wish we could lure you to a race or two! Not quite as low, not quite as fast...but the food is better! :)

...."Once you've been supersonic at 100', EVERYTHING else is slow!"

Best,

Then again, Keith is out there bombing around and having a lot of sun in his SX! I flew off his wing at Mitchell for a pre-AVC photo shoot, and he's a good guy! I will say he was pretty laid back throughout, so that 100' Mach+ time lets him make it look easy! ;)

Cheers,
Bob

Last edited:
My humble observation

When Jeanine and I took our newly finished RV-6A to Dayton, Ohio for our first AirVenture Cup race to Oshkosh we sat at a table with Keith Phillips, Sam Hoskins and a group of Keith Phillip's friends from Spruce Creek. In the course of conversation I picked up enough information in conversation to determine he and I were in the Air Force at the same time but I was a one enlistment USAF trained radio mechanic and he was an officer and a pilot - worlds apart. He stated with genuine interest "then you got out?" after I told him I enlisted in February of 1954. He did not lavish the crowd with his separateness and greatness - he talked very straight and for me it was a memorable experience. I always look for the red #10 SX-300 when we go to the AVC. I always look for a lot of really really good people in those races and I feel elevated to a special place just being a part of it. Bob Mills, Mark Frederick, Alan Carroll, David Adams, John Huft, Jon Ross and so many more. IF you could get Keith Phillips to fly in one of the other SARL Races I believe the number of entries would jump significantly - a flock of SX-300s is probable. Keep working on him Bob.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Speed is Life?

Bob,

Sounds like you had the definition of the word "hoot" down there! I know Bob A. has a great thing going there and sounds like alot of fun. Getting you down there keeps our streets safer! :)
Sorry I missed it, we were busy dodging tornados in front of our Fly4Life display at SNF! Next time...

Smokey

PS: Pierre, 800 Cal at 500' may be supersonic however comma, boo coo hours at ONE foot is beyond reproach!
You da man :)

Last edited:
I always look for a lot of really really good people in those races and I feel elevated to a special place just being a part of it.
Bob Axsom

It's really the other way around Bob...we're lucky to hang with you! :)

Bob,

Sounds like you had the definition of the word "hoot" down there! I know Bob A. has a great thing going there and sounds like alot of fun. Getting you down there keeps our streets safer! :)
Sorry I missed it, we were busy dodging tornados in front of our Fly4Life display at SNF! Next time...

Smokey

And we're happy you (and everyone) escaped harm!

PS: Pierre, 800 Cal at 500' may be supersonic however comma, boo coo hours at ONE foot is beyond reproach!
You da man :)

What he said! :)

Cheers,
Bob

Back