What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pensacola Recommendations?

Pounder

Well Known Member
Sponsor
We're planning a weekend in Pensacola and points further (eastward) toward Ft Walton Beach. Any recommendations for GA (RV-4) friendly hosting? The plan will simply be, park the airplane and get a rental car. A condo awaits us at Navarre Beach.

Bryan

Pensacola Regional is not too bad. Its busy but not too crazy. Gas is not cheap though. Easy to get a car and a quick drive to Pensacola Beach. The Milton airport (Peter Prince, 2R4) is a lot cheaper for gas but a slightly longer drive, and VERY busy airspace being that close to the Whiting complex. Talk to Pensacola approach early on and you won't have a problem. There are several other choices but you will have a longer drive.

Ferguson

This is a nice little GA field not far from everything: http://www.airnav.com/airport/82J

It does have a very low ceiling (under Navy Airspace) that spooks a lot of folks but I enjoyed my visit. And it's kinda fun to fly low legally!

Check fuel prices if that's important. The main airport is over $6. The small fields are friendly and much cheaper. It all depends on what you're looking for; towers, clearances, security hassles and the associated costs or quiet, simple and affordable.....

Last edited:
There is a turf strip just east of Navarre and north of the bay. Look up boomers aviation. It is used for banner towing. They will let you tie down outside. I dont think they have fuel. It's a pretty short strip but perfect for an RV. About a 10 min drive from the toll bridge in Navarre. Also destin may be an option. I think it's KDST. I love Navarre!!!

Ferguson (82J) is to the W of downtown Jax so flying in there will result in multiple congested cross-town drives to get to/fro the beach & Navarre. Milton's far enough north that I'm not sure I'd find that agreeably convenient, either. PNS is the simple answer and we've flown in there multiple times without ever feeling it was very busy.

Good advice about working with PNS Approach. They are familiar with all the OLF's, the helo and fixed wing regimens, and keep in mind there are two active Navy fields there, one on each side of downtown Pensacola.

We're in Spring's changeable weather period now, so suggest after your arrival you keep a long-distance eye on potential T/S bands leading an approaching cold front. If you see one a day away, you would want to consider having the FBO hangar the plane.

Have a great trip and, if you haven't already been there once or twice, don't miss the Navy's Aviation Museum on the mainside base. Try to hook up with one of the Docents there when touring inside; their knowledge of the collection is vast and very entertaining.

Jack

Defuniak Springs

Last april (2010) we spent a week in Destin and had hanger space for 2 RV's. Great service and rental cars. Lots better price than Destin. 54J

Ferguson

As a Pilots'n Paws pilot I flew into Ferguson airport on March 25. You can read my comments from that flight on Airnav. Study the pattern and ceiling restrictions described on the Ferguson airport web site. The Pensacola controllers were very busy but very helpful. I can't say anything about Milton which is closer to Navarre, but you can't go wrong landing at Ferguson.

Back