What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need aircraft camping advice

dwilson

Well Known Member
My wife Linda and I are planning to fly our RV-9A from Kelso, WA to Charleston SC in mid to late may.

We would like to camp along the way as much as possible, but don't know how to find airports/campgrounds to camp in.

Our proposed route is south towards Arizona and then across the southern US as this may keep us out of weather that time of year.

Any advice would be appreciated.

will you please send it to me as well. I will be interested in the same info if you would.

Regards

Petit Jean Park Airport (KMPJ)

Petit Jean Park Airport is a great stop in Arkansas. Search the Forums and you'll see that it's a popular stop with VAF members...for good reason.

Many state Departments of Transportation (including Missouri) also publish a state airport directory; the Missouri directory indicates whether camping is permitted (or not).

Mike

Appreciate the suggestion

Petit Jean Park Airport is a great stop in Arkansas.

Many state Departments of Transportation (including Missouri) also publish a state airport directory; the Missouri directory indicates whether camping is permitted (or not).

Mike

Thanks Mike,
I will look for state directories on line.

There are two good places I know of in Texas where you can camp near (or next to) your plane - Big Bend Ranch State Park out west, and Lake Whitney State Park northwest of Waco. BBRSP is spectacular, but be warnd - the camping is primitive - you'll feel like you're on the moon!

Paul

Duane, there are a couple of State Parks in KY with airports that allow tent camping next to your airplane. Check out Rough River State Park and Lake Barkley State Park.

Use AOPA

AOPA Airports has a search function as well.
I just went to:
AOPA Airports; then "browse by state";
Entered Washington. Then in the search window: "camping WA".
This returned 32 Hits for the state.

Thanks,

Sure appreciate all the great advice. We now have a lot of research to do! Looking forward to the adventure!

I noticed that the FAA airport directory (which pops up on SkyCharts on my iPad) often mentions whether camping is available.

My own experience is that most of the less-busy airports allow it. Look for grass runways, even as just crosswind runways.... Those are the places more likely to permit it.

A portable solar shower is handy if you can find a place to fill it and hang it.

Dave

Back