What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trip to Boston

Paul Eckenroth

Well Known Member
Looking for advice as to best airport and FBO for cost and convenience. Planning 3 days in Boston proper. Would probably take a cab from airport to city. Hanger availability would be a plus.

Thanks for any helpful info.
Paul Eckenroth
N509RV

probably will need to rent a car

It's a bit of a challenge. You don't want to be a BOS so that leaves one of the satellite airports such as Lawrence or Beverly. In both cases, a taxi to the city will be much more than renting a car. If you only want to stay in the city, they you might look to see if there is a bus into the city. ForeFlight shows a good price for 100LL at the moment at Beverly (KBVY).

you could fly to beverly then take the commuter rail into boston, im biased because i work on the railroad but i still think its your best option.

also if you need any suggestions on things to do or places to eat let me know. but do it before sunday because im heading on vacation.

Norwood

I'm based at Norwood (OWD). A decent airport, also easy access to the commuter rail (a cab will be around 75 bucks). You could probably get a hangar easily enough but check with the FBO (FlightLevel) first, especially on price. ~Scott

We plan on flying past your way from Portland, on our way to Sun n Fun tomorrow. We will be VFR hopefully the weather will be nice, any tips for a VFR leg from PKWM to the beginning of the Hudson River Corridor?
Thanks Ron

Beverly would be a good choice, but I agree with the public transport option. You won't want a car if you're spending your time in Boston, but if you're going to explore the rest of the coastal area, I'd suggest you rent a car. Enjoy your visit.
Barbara

In my one trip to Boston ...

I landed at Beverly and rented a car. It was a significant drive into the city but we used the car for tourist activities so it was essential. I had driven to Boston once before when I worked in the NYC area so I was prepared to deal with some pretty aggressive driving in the city as the norm.

Bob Axsom

Thanks for all the good suggestions. I was trying to avoid renting a car since we will not be driving once in Boston and you probably need to pay a fair amount to park. Public transportation may be the winner.

Paul

KBVY best option

Paul,

Beverly is your best option. Park on the side of the field near the tower (east side) and grab a taxi about .5 mile to the commuter rail station. This will take you into North Station, and from there you can go anywhere you need in the city.

It's a good instinct to avoid parking in the city since it can be expensive. That said, you can find places that let you park for $20/day as long as the car is in by 9 a.m.

Enjoy!

Antony

P.S. - I have done this numerous times and it works great. Parking on the east side allows you to avoid ramp fees and puts you closer to the commuter rail station.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the good suggestions. I was trying to avoid renting a car since we will not be driving once in Boston and you probably need to pay a fair amount to park. Public transportation may be the winner.

Paul

Sorry this is probably way too late, but kbed does offer fairly frequent MBTA buses that can take you quickly to the rest of public transport and also very quickly to Blue Ribbon BBQ in Arlington. In particlar, check mbta.com for the 76 bus schedule.

Now, I'm not saying this is the easiest, cheapest, least busy, or least breaucratic of fields around, but it is convenient to puclic transit and offers many services. And it has more precision approaches than the others mentioned.

Back