What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Looking for an RV-9A ride (San Diego)

rv9a

I went against conventional wisdom and had my friend (and CFI) do the first flight in my RV9A.

He then transitioned me into it and I flew off most of the PH I hours.

No transition training for either one of us and I am still a student pilot that had about 70 hrs when I started flying the 9,

If you build your -9A according to the manual and didn't try to "invent" anything or re-engineer the kit, you'll find it flies easier and nicer than just about anything else you've ever flown.

Unless your insurance requires transition training, just go fly it!

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised...

Dave
-9A out of PH 1

First flight

Mike, When I flew my 9A first flight, I had maybe 400 hrs. in Cessna 172s and Piper Cherokees. I had transition training and I?m glad I did. I don?t think the first flight would have turned out successful for me if I hadn?t done the transition training.

After 900 hrs. in the 9A I built a 7A and flew the first flight in it. One of my buddies gave me transition training in his 7A before that first flight.
The RV series of plane fly a lot differently that the regular production planes.

Larry

-9A flying

Well, admittedly, I'm really a newby compared to some here.

My previous experience was about 50 hr in a DA-20 and 20 or so in a C-150 with a smattering of DA-40 and C-152 time.

My -9A is a simple 150 hp, fp prop and a basic "six pack" panel.

The difference in flying qualities were minor; more responsive controls but not scary at all for a low timer, climb rate higher (if you pull the nose up) and a little more planning required in the pattern for speed control. If you elect to climb steeper and faster, it requires a lot of right rudder to center the ball.

I found the -9A easier to land than anything else. I'm based at an airpark with a 30' wide runway and nearly constant cross winds.

I can fathom a guy with 400 hrs under his belt thinking his first -9A flight would be "unsuccessful" without transition training. Does "unsuccessful" mean a crash??

No disrespect intended here and everybody's got their own comfort level.

Like I said, I have little experience and I'm certainly no super pilot:D

Just my recent observation....

Dave
-9A out of PH I

RV9A

I went against conventional wisdom and had my friend (and CFI) do the first flight in my RV9A.

He then transitioned me into it and I flew off most of the PH I hours.

No transition training for either one of us and I am still a student pilot that had about 70 hrs when I started flying the 9,

If you build your -9A according to the manual and didn't try to "invent" anything or re-engineer the kit, you'll find it flies easier and nicer than just about anything else you've ever flown.

Unless your insurance requires transition training, just go fly it!

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised...

Dave
-9A out of PH 1

Thanks Dave; That's just what I'm going to do.

Dave/Mike
I did the same as Dave, no regrets here. I found it a much easier to land than the 152 trainers.
doug

Does "unsuccessful" mean a crash??

A first flight is more than just being able to take off and land without crashing. If you are using everything you know just to fly the plane, then how are you going to evaluate the performance of the plane? Phase 1 is to evaluate the plane, not your flying ability.

FAA requires me to fly my plane ALONE from galespie to brown field then stay in that area for 25 flying hours. Then I can fly anywhere with a passinger. My insurance co. said I must fly one hour with another pilot. Mike

Back