What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How Many RV-10 Builders are first time builders?

Chofrock

I want to build an RV-10, plus I would like to have an RV-8 too for those times when I fly by myself. :)

I thought about building the 8 first and then building the 10, but that would take a long time, and I don't know how I would budget that, without selling the 8 in the process.

Then I thought of just building the 10, of course the 10 costs more than the 8 but I figure I could find someone willing to be a part owner and pay for the engine or avionics. :D

Now my question is, is the 10 more complex than an 8? Is a ten something that a first time builder could accomplish, or would it be much wiser to do an 8 first?

Everything I've heard from other builders is that the 10 is the easiest to build because the plans and instructions are much better. Also, no jigs are required (as they are for the 8 still, I think?). If you've got the money, I wouldn't hesitate to encourage you to build the 10 first. Whatever you select, if it's for you, building airplanes is a LOT of fun! Good luck.

Since you live close to Vans, I would pay them a visit. Should help you to make a decession......

Mike

Don't hesitate

I started on a 10 September 1, 2005 with a partner. Actually many partners. This forum, numerous builder sites and at least 5 current builders. I have yet to have anyone say they were too busy to answer a question or offer advice on how to handle a tricky build or how to best fix a screw up. This is the most enjoyable task I have ever undertaken and I just wish I knew about it 20 years ago so I could have been building all along. We are currently working on the cabin and should be mounting the motor in about a month and a half. Start the journey. You won't regret it.

We are, We are!

Yep, 1st time builders here too. Can't help you on the other questions though because we're just getting into it. Lots of fun, but a learning process. 1st lesson learned... "we ain't buildin' jewelry"... I'm starting to tell myself that more and more :eek:

1st RV

I'm a first timer too. Only built model airplanes and an ultralight before the
-10. Nothing about it is hard, just a lot of repetition.

Todd
RV-10 Emp

I'm a 1st time builder too. Didn't know a thing about how an airplane goes together before I started.

PJ
RV-10 #40032
Fuselage

Rv-10

Not a first timer yet, but will be soon. Hoping to start in the Fall or Jan. 07. Working on PPL now. I do have the good fortune of two locals building RV-10s. Pretty cool to see progress every week.

First time builder and I didn't even have my PPL when I started. Read the directions and ask questions and you should be fine.

If you like working with your hands and have the patience it is a BLAST!

I started building flying models when I was 7 years old, (44 years now) my last R/C project was a 1/4 scale biplane 5 years ago. The model building was a help because the parts have the same names i.e. Longeron, Spar, Web, Flange etc., since the RV-10 plans are very well written and the holes are prepunched it's easy. I have not had one hole not line up to date and there are only a few metal panels left to install before I get to the fiberglass top. Be warned that there is the mundane task of assemble, drill, disassemble, deburr, C/S or dimple, the "P" word and finally rivet.

Get some practice riveting to get the feel of the gun and bucking bar associated with that process. Hook up with some local builders and check out their projects. Ask questions, :confused: there are no dumb ones. I usually get Cleco? Flute? Dimple? Match Drill? Microstop?

The RV-10 is the easiest airplane I have ever built. Most of the R/C models were much more difficult than this aircraft. Go to Van's and check them out. Get a demo ride and if you not a disciplined person leave your checkbook and credit cards home, otherwise you'll walk out a bit poorer :eek: destined to be known as builder #40XXX :cool: . It is a very satisfying process to build this airplane.

Rick S.
Finishing the Fuselage

First time

I am building a -10 in my garage after taking the 7-day builders course at Alexander Tech Center in Georgia. Having done nothing like this before it was really helpful to have access to different tools, advice on techniques, and an expert eye. Carted all the 'flat' surfaces and remaining materials back in a 12' trailer to home here in N VA and have just clecoed the majority of the tailcone. (Put it together, take it apart, repeat...)

http://websites.expercraft.com/douglasn

Some of the instructions lack some detail, but they are pretty straightforward. I do find that I am still in tool acquisition mode...

Starting Monday

My wife and I are first time builders and will start our RV-10 on Monday in Eugene, OR with Wally and his crew at Synergy Air. We will learn the basics at Synergy and then the kit will follow us back to Fleming Field, South St. Paul MN where we will build it in our hangar. We have always owned a light aircraft, either on our own, (J4 Cub, Tri-Pacer) or in a partnership. (Cardinal, Bonanza). We are both excited about this project and anxious to get started. This will be our traveling machine as we ease into retirement in a few years.

David and Mary Maib

Back