What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

P-mag and high altitudes?

N941WR

Legacy Member
If any of you have flown your P-mags at altitudes where oxygen is required, I have a few questions for you.

How high have you flown them?
How did they run?
Are you using auto plugs?
What is your configuration?
A) Dual E/P-mags
B) OneE/P-mag and one other electronic ignition
C) One E/P-mag and a traditional mag

As always, please add any appropriate comments regarding your experience.

Ran fine at 17,500

I had my 8 up to 17,500 about a month ago. I've got a P-mag on the right and a Slick mag on the left. The engine ran just fine and I could have kept climbing even with my new airplane partner in the back seat with his oxygen bottle. I don't remember what our exact weight was. Oh yeah, I'm running with aircraft plugs.

Hi Bill,

Dual Pmags, ECI IO 360, 8.5 to 1, nothing else fancy.

No problem leaning. Power was excellent, temps great. Been at high altitude many times.

our experience

We have been up to 13.5 but more often at 12.5 or 11.5 with no issues noticed in 800 hours of flying with dual pmags, auto plugs in an RV7A.

17.5k no problem

Up to 17,500, but lots in 10-15000 range. Same as anywhere else in my experience. LOP Mag checks at 10K no problem.

IO-360
dual PMags with advanced curve
Auto plugs

Seb Trost
RV-7A
Boulder City, NV

Makes a difference

I fly a lot at 11.5-13.5 with absolutely no problems. I currently have dual P-mags with auto plugs on an AEIO-320. However, back when put the first Pmag on my engine I did a little experimentation at altitude. I could turn off the mag and there was no noticable change to the engine. However, when I turned off the Pmag the engine lost about 200 rpm. Also, the dual Pmags improved (decreased) my fuel flow at altitude by about 1 gph.

Back