What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Electronic Ignition

PaulR

Well Known Member
I'm working on FWF and have 1 P-Mag. Past experience with mags tells me the bottom plugs tend to foul easier than the top. With the hotter firing EI would it make sense to put that system on all the bottom plugs and let the conventional Mag fire the tops?

EI plugs in top

LSE told me to put EI plugs on top. Hot plug spark won't make plugs cleaner. EI plugs fire first so you want that on normally clean plugs so you get most reliable ignition.

1/2 EI sys: Auto plugs on the Bottom or Top

LSE told me to put EI plugs on top. Hot plug spark won't make plugs cleaner. EI plugs fire first so you want that on normally clean plugs so you get most reliable ignition.
1/2 EI systems: Auto plugs on the Bottom or Top.
Just a few.
Top advantages:
1)Less prone to fuel foul, smaller center electrode cavity.
2)Better flame propagation when the initial ignition takes place in a more favorable A/F ratio.
3)Easier on the Mag to ionize when firing later in the higher cylinder pressure?s because of the richer Air/Fuel ratio present in the lower combustion chamber are when running.
4)EI?s have a better starting spark discharge when cranking/starting.

Bottom advantages:
1)None

Thomas S.

I had a similar issue on my cherokee 6 IO540. After talking to the lycomming factory I ended up with 38E's on top and I think 40's on the bottom. The 40's burned hotter and therefore burned off the oil at startup quicker.

Understood

Okay, I understand the reasoning. Now the question becomes a matter of changing the Slick harness.

The plug wires from the left mag to #1 and #3 are designed to go to the top plugs. At first glance, they don't appear to be long enough to go to the bottom of those two cylinders.

I have the Slick that I removed from the right side. Would it be possible to take the longer of the two plug wires from the right mag and put them in the left mag so they would reach the bottom plugs?

Is there a manual available to illustrate the procedure to do this?

Still Looking

Hey guys, is there a manual available that illustrates removing and replacing an individual lead in a Slick harness? I need to move one lead, buy a longer lead so I can put the left mag plugs on the bottom of 1 and 3. Current wires aren't long enough. Also, where can I buy a single lead?

Hey Paul, are you up for a visit anytime soon. I go back to work Sunday. I am having RV withdrawals with the plane in the paint shop.

Back