What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trutrak DFC-300AS

I'm thinking about buying a used DFC-300 Trutrak autopilot. Can anyone tell me how far behind the technology curve I would be with this model?

Thanks, Martti Benson
RV-9
Empennage complete...almost.

This happens to be one of the few AP's that will follow the GPSS signal output by the later versions of the GX?? gps's that output GPSS over RS232 serial lines....this was a weird thing and not much supported it.

I would give TT a call and find out any thing to look out for before buying and make sure it will do what you expect it will.

I'm thinking about buying a used DFC-300 Trutrak autopilot. Can anyone tell me how far behind the technology curve I would be with this model?

Thanks, Martti Benson
RV-9
Empennage complete...almost.

To give the honest answer, you'd be pretty far out of date. The DFC was discontinued in ~2004/early 2005. We haven't worked on any updates to the product since. It uses much older hardware and software. That being said, it is still a capable autopilot. One thing to be aware of, it does NOT have vertical GPSS capability, meaning it will not fly an LPV/WAAS GPS approach glideslope.

None of the DFC units are under warranty anymore, something else to keep in mind. Hope this helps.

Back