What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Duplicolor paint

cropdusterdave

Well Known Member
Just wondering...am i the only one using Duplicolor Paint on the interior? I' m doing the Napa 7220 primer followed up by duplicolor 6110 light grey automotive formulation from a rattle can. It goes on smooth and easy and it's tough as nails.

Just wondering....I don't see anyone using it.

Engine Enamel

From personal experience, this ?works? for interior paint: Duplicolor Engine Enamel over Sherwin Williams 988 (similar to NAPA 7220) or Duplicolor Self-Etching Primer. Seems to be Very Durable IF the prep is good (Scotchbrite, Lacquer Thinner, and Primer) and IF the parts are set aside for a week (warm) to ten days (cool) to allow the enamel to harden sufficiently. Two-part epoxies are more durable and set much more quickly than rattle can enamels, though.

My ?2 Cents? Only: Rattle can advantages are "adequate" and "convenient" offset by a very slow hardening time. Two-part advantages are "professional appearance" and "high durability? offset by a somewhat more complex application process, but two-part application is no problem for those who are familiar with a paint gun. It's a Trade-Off of Results, Money, Skills, Time, and Application Equipment . . . It?s also one of those ?never-ending debate? things! Bottom Line: It?s Your Choice!

Good Luck!

Bill Palmer :)

Stewart systems one part

I just recently painted my interior with Stewart Systems primer and one part. I am very pleased with the results and it was very easy to use and cleanup. So far I am impressed with the durability. It cured quickly. I loved the stuff.

Upholstery

No I didn't use it. I bought the video from Becki Orndorf on upholstery and I bought the floor pad, carpet, cloth, foam, firewall soundproofing and sewn seat pads from the Orndorfs as well. People talk about floor drumming etc. which I have not experienced in our RV-6A. Perhaps this is due to the upholstery vs. painted metal?

Bob Axsom

I've been very happy with the Duplicolor self-etching primer that we've been using on the current project - haven't used their top coats. Rustoleum all the way for that (in the interior). With what I know about paint company corporate structure (nothing), they probably come out of the same vat in China somewhere....;)

To quicken drying times and increase hardness of rattle can stuff, I keep a couple of heat lamps in the shop and let small parts and panels rest on them for a couple of hours. Stinks the house up less than if I use the oven.

Paul

Back