What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

o 360 J2A engine

Andy Smith

I'm New Here
I have been offered an O 360 J2A from a Robinson R22 for my RV7 project. Has anyone out there any experience or guidance of using one of these helicopter engines in a conventional airplane. I would like to use a fixed pitch Sensenich prop but Vans site don't list one of suitable pitch with the bolt size fitted to this engine. Any comments please? I'm new to this game.
Andy

0-360 whirly bird

The J2A uses a conical mount. it has 8.5:1 compression and is for fixed pitch configuration. it also has a standard updraft sump. With it's certified face painted on, it uses a Marvel Scheibler carburator but can be fuel injected as well. Based on the major parts and components, if you desire the conical mount, there's no reason the engine can't be used. The cases can be converted to dynafocal 1, but it costs more at case overhaul. Some crankcase repair facilities such as Crankcase Services Inc., in Sand Springs Okla. may have a set of D1 cases they might exchange for.

Allen Barrett
Barrett Precision Engines, Inc.

Back