What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Nfg ?

RV8RIVETER

Well Known Member
Patron
I was looking at my pistons (IO-360) and saw the letters NFG stamped on them. Does anyone know what that means? I was betting Mahlon would know.

You asked for it :)

RV8RIVETER said:
I was looking at my pistons (IO-360) and saw the letters NFG stamped on them. Does anyone know what that means? I was betting Mahlon would know.

Dang, you would have to ask this... and I'm feeling pretty giddy...

How about "No frigging good" ...... you had to ask... :eek:

Actually I'll bet it's a manufacturers stamp, but I honestly don't know.

Everyone's a comedian

I knew someone would have to post the smart a$$ answer. :rolleyes:

That was my first thought too. :)

Seriously, I am too curious and just had to know the "real" answer.

Looked at recent production 360, 75089 pistons from the three major players. Lycoming, SAP and ECI. None of them had NFG stamped or cast into them.
I don't ever recall seeing NFG stamped or cast in any piston.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
"The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at you own risk."

Nfg

Standard Lycoming, SAP and ECI pistons are cast aluminum. Some, possibly most aftermarket pistons are forged aluminum. NFG means forged, doesn't it?

Allen

Seriously "NFG", if it's stamped really does mean that. I would at least check them over real good if you plan to use them.

Where is the "NFG" stamped? If it is on the combustion surface, I suspect they are trying to indicate they are not serviceable.

Anywhere else and it might be some type of identifier.

The reason for my thinking is that you would not want any marks on the piston surface as that would be a spot to initiate "pre-ignition", thus giving you spark knock and harming your engine.

Just my uneducated $.02 worth.

Tellow tagged

Guys

The exact model is IO-360A3B6D from a Mooney, manufactured in the late to mid 80's. I am sorry I do not have the exact date, paperwork not nearby.

Thanks everyone for the input.

I had no idea this would be such a difficult question. The pistons, were inspected and tagged servicable by a certified ovehaul facility, so I know they are good and within overhaul limits. We had everything inspected, reworked, and tagged and were going to have an IA Lycoming expert rebuild it to keep it "certified". But we just can't resist trying piston coating and intake tube coating to get a few more fractions of lost hp back, so it will no longer be "certified". I guessed it was a manufacturer code, but thought I would ask the community.

Back