What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tolerance of EGT probe position?

CMW

Well Known Member
All,

I'm installing the EGT probes and am wondering how much position error affects EGT readings. In other words, if one probe tip is say 1/8" closer to the exhaust port than the other probes, how much will this affect the reading we see? Anyone with any data on this?

Thanks,

Chris

The idea is to keep them the same distance, and 1/8" will probably make a small difference, but it really does not matter.

EGT gauges are not about finite values at all.

EGT guages are ALL ABOUT trends in exhaust gas temperature.

So if you have one drilled out of place and do not want to patch it and go again, do not worry about it.

DB :cool:

They can be right on the money in the same spot and still read different.

I have one that is way different from the others and cannot explain why other than that is just the way it is. I have tried all the test to figure it out other than moving it. I have decided just to live with it.

I am not sure if it is reading low or if all the others are reading high since my other three tend to read higher than most people in the same conditions.

The engine runs fine, makes good power, burns the right amount of fuel, the CHT's are normal, and the plugs look fine so I figure it is just the nature of the beast and don't worry about it anymore.

Back