What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Horizontal Stab incidence

larryj

Well Known Member
I'm fine-tuning my final rigging and would like to know if anyone has any helpful data on establishing the angle-of-incidence on the HS.
I currently have the main (upper) longerons level; and the wings set with 0.5 degrees of incidence. I believe for a (roughly) 1200 lb aircraft the HS should be at 1.5 degrees incidence ?? Any input here ??
Thanks,

Not on a Rocket

Hey Larry:

+0.5 deg on the H stab too. If I know you, you'll want to fly 1st with a super duper duct tape fairing and tweak the incidence to perfection.:D

Seriously, this is what most of the guys have used, and it works out OK.

FYI the Evo uses 0 deg for this part....

Carry on!
Mark

HS incidence equal ? VS alignment

Really ?? Wow, that is way different than I was led to believe many years ago. Thanks Mark. So just to make this perfectly clear: the wing and HS have the same positive angle of incidence at +0.5 degrees ????
And I have been rethinking my fairing strategy and yes I'll probably fly with duct tape at first. I am also planning on adjustable gear leg fairings to center the yaw. Which raises the question: where do we rig the Vertical Stabilizer (VS) ?? Straight to the airframe or offset at the leading edge ??

Yep, they match.

Correct -- please proceed!

The fin is attached straight, or as close as you can get it. Anything that is used as a tab (fin, rudder or leg fairings) will cause you to use left rudder in a descent, but that is standard stuff. It might be that offsetting the fin would be easiest, after a small tab on the rudder, of course.

Carry on!

Back