What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Gear Weldment Installation

Rick_A

Well Known Member
I learned a good lesson over the weekend on the right way (and wrong way) to install "A" model gear weldments. Needless to say, I did not do it right the first time.

When fitting the weldment make sure it is FLUSH against the spar and that that the Wing bolts fit! I just used the bolts shown on DWG 34 and never test fit the Spar Bolts shown on DWG 11. When I did it right - tightening the hard to get to lower corner bolts and lining up the spar bolts - I found the skin attach bolts holes did not line up with the holes I drilled in the weldment (they were off about 1/4 the width of the hole). In the process, I also discoverd that the the NAS Spar Bolts did not fit through the weldment. I had to remove most of the powder coat to get the bolts to fit - which I did after I removed the weldments.

After just finishing the fuel lines, I sure didn't like the idea of removing the weldments, but I'm glad I caught it BEFORE I got to the point of fitting the wings! So the weldment are off to the TIG welder to get the holes filled and I'm sure the fuel lines will be easier the second time.

Back