What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

-9A initial report

Daver

Well Known Member
Thought I'd post some initial findings.

My plane is a -9A slow build (took just short of 4 years to get it flying).

150 HP lyc o-320E2A (used 450 SMOH).

Sterba wood prop (68x72).

My field elevation is 6550'

The plane flies trim - very nice. Won't need any adjustments or tabs. I think this, in part, is a testimony to my expertise using advanced measuring equipment like a tape measure & plumb bob:D

The take off & climb performance is very good for the setup. I've gotten 1500 - 1600 FPM at a den alt of over 8000'. Of course the plane was light.

The prop is pitched a little much but I think I'll be happy the way it is. 2250 take off RPM and just shy of 2500 in cruise. I think the cruise RPM will increase as soon as I install wheel fairings.

Best speed so far is 171 MPH TAS @ 2400 RPM. I think its going to be an honest 150 kt plane. I'm more than happy with this result.

Throttled back to about 2000 RPM, I'm getting about 135 MPH @ ~4.5 GPH.

Landing is a breeze (so easy a cave man could do it). The flaps are not as effective as a C-150's and the forward slips are less extreme. Slowing down in the pattern is not a problem. You just have to plan ahead.

I built this thing for just short of $46k. Round gauge panel with a few "goodies" like an AP, fuel computer, nice GPS, vac gyros (used), etc.

The empty weight came in at 1044 so it has good useful load.

Very few minor issues; loose alternator belt, my intercomm quit:mad:- small stuff really.

Dave
-9A flying

The paint & fiberglass is still a work in progress.

This is all preliminary so I'll post another report as soon as I learn more

Congratulations Dave,,,,not only on first flight but also on the cost of your plane. It is nice to see that there are other builders besides myself that need to keep progress on the build with a limited budget. It CAN be done!

-9A numbers

Wow, GOOD JOB!!
I gained 20 mph putting the gear fairings on!
Fixed pitch props are a compromise as far as choosing a "cruise" prop or a "climb" prop. You're top end RPM of 2500 though, that's seems rather low if your condition was WOT and 8000 ft. Is your engine red line 2600 or 2700?

Ideally, a person would like to see WOT/8000 ft to at least be within 50 rpm of the engine rated red line.

Thought I'd post some initial findings.

My plane is a -9A slow build (took just short of 4 years to get it flying).

150 HP lyc o-320E2A (used 450 SMOH).

Sterba wood prop (68x72).

My field elevation is 6550'

The plane flies trim - very nice. Won't need any adjustments or tabs. I think this, in part, is a testimony to my expertise using advanced measuring equipment like a tape measure & plumb bob:D

The take off & climb performance is very good for the setup. I've gotten 1500 - 1600 FPM at a den alt of over 8000'. Of course the plane was light.

The prop is pitched a little much but I think I'll be happy the way it is. 2250 take off RPM and just shy of 2500 in cruise. I think the cruise RPM will increase as soon as I install wheel fairings.

Best speed so far is 171 MPH TAS @ 2400 RPM. I think its going to be an honest 150 kt plane. I'm more than happy with this result.

Throttled back to about 2000 RPM, I'm getting about 135 MPH @ ~4.5 GPH.

Landing is a breeze (so easy a cave man could do it). The flaps are not as effective as a C-150's and the forward slips are less extreme. Slowing down in the pattern is not a problem. You just have to plan ahead.

I built this thing for just short of $46k. Round gauge panel with a few "goodies" like an AP, fuel computer, nice GPS, vac gyros (used), etc.

The empty weight came in at 1044 so it has good useful load.

Very few minor issues; loose alternator belt, my intercomm quit:mad:- small stuff really.

Dave
-9A flying

The paint & fiberglass is still a work in progress.

This is all preliminary so I'll post another report as soon as I learn more

Dave, You should send a copy of this thread to Van. He would be proud of you.

All we ever hear is how someone loaded up the panel and invested $85K in their over weight aircraft and now the tax man is holding out his hand.

At that weight, you will really enjoy your aircraft..........................:)

Congratulations! Can you post a picture of the panel?

Really impressed with your bottom line cost too.

Dave congratulations! Do you have any tips on major items where to save? I assume you are unpainted right?

paint

Vlad,

its painted - sort of.

I'm the kinda guy who has trouble painting the bathroom...

I need to color sand, buff, touch up, buff some more and maybe it'll be OK.

Just more work.

My engine has a dual HP rating; 150 @ 2700 and 140 at, I think, 2450 RPM, so really what I have here, I think, is a 140 HP plane with this prop.

Ed Sterba will repitch it if I want. I'm trying to decide.

I could get more RPM and, thus, more HP but I might loose some economy.

The key to building these things for less $$$ is deciding what you can do without and what kind of plane you really want..

If you want a new engine, CS prop, whiz-bang glass panel then it'll cost more.

I'm sure my plane won't win any awards but I'm happy.

I'd post a picture but I don't know how:eek:

I'll try to figure it out.

Thanks all for the kind words. Building and flying an airplane is an incredible journey no matter how you build it.

Dave
-9A flying
(about 18+ hrs into phase I)

We know how you feel! Nothing beats flying YOUR plane. You beat me by 10 pounds and about $4k, and I thought I had done pretty well. Enjoy!

Bob Kelly

Ed Sterba will repitch it if I want. I'm trying to decide.
The rpm will come up quite a bit due to the speed increase once you put the wheel pants on. Hold off on making any decisions about prop pitch until you have the pants on.

Congrats!

Dave if you ever make it up to Santa Fe PLEASE give me a call (231-4598)!

I'd love to see your 9A. Your price point is what I'm shooting for so its more than encouraging to learn of it being done. I'd love to hear how you did it!

Its great to have another flying 9A in the LOE!

Bob

I thought it might be you and your project taking off and landing here at 1N1 recently. Congratulations on getting airborne! We haven't actually met but did exchange emails I guess more than a year ago. I've finally started my tail kit but have been floundering around of late with work and life. I'll have to get back to working on it now that there's yet one more flying RV on the airpark!

That's awesome! 46K wow!. I too tried to keep mine on the cheap, you did better than I did. Nice assessment of the flying attributes of a -9. Enjoy!

Howdy Mike D

Glad to hear you got started on your RV.

I'm sure we will meet sometime.

All my tools are now at the hangar so let me know if you need anything or just need to co-miserate:D

Thanks All!

Dave

Dave,
Reading about your RV-9A put a huge smile on my face. My hat's off to you for your practicality in building a perfect airplane. Glad to read of your projects completion, performance and success. Way to go on a job well done. Please post some pictures.

posting pitchurs

Its an embarrassing thing:eek: .... but I don't know how to do this.

Do I need to upload them to another site like imageshack?

I created a facebook account with a pic of me & my plane. I plan to put more pictures there.

Although my -9a cosmetics are a work in progress, it doesn't look bad in the pictures.

If you stop by my hangar to see my plane, you have to promise not to laugh:D

Dave

Dave,

Yes imageshack would work, I use Google's Picasa sometimes or just one of my web sites to base the pictures out of. I think I've seen Doug also use Picassa.

I'd be glad to help you get them posted - especaillly since so many of us want to see! :)

Bob

here you go.

40131105697349498544100.jpg

To insert image use

Last edited:
congrats on getting airborne! I am just starting on my 9. Great to know people are getting in the air for under 50K.

Back