What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Power Grids - Lancair style

aadamson

Well Known Member
In case anyone is curious, here are some pictures of the power grids that I got for my Legacy. A freind who is building a -7 was vary curious about these, so I took the pictures.

They aren't cheap, but man are they nice. This is a dual alt/batt setup and the only grid that I didn't take a picture of is the single contactor version with the starter contactor.

Enjoy...
DSCN1356.sized.jpg

Rest of pictures here...
http://www.highrf.com/gallery/Power-Grids

I'm curious what they get for one of these babies? Looks like it'd save you a bunch of wiring and thinking about wiring.

That is slick. Precision Airmotive makes a similar all-in-one box that also includes a plug for ground power.

That would be LAMAR

Davepar said:
That is slick. Precision Airmotive makes a similar all-in-one box that also includes a plug for ground power.

Perhaps Precision Airmotive and LAMAR are the same thing, but the MC-10 is what you are talking about. Don't think it will handle dual busses tho, it's just starter, master, avionics contactors.

As for cost, the Lancair ones are around $600 - $1000.

If I remember right, the MC-10 is also at the $600 mark. The Lancair ones, just make it soo easy to handle all the busses, contactors, switching, regulators, etc.

Here is the inside of one of the MC-10's from my Cessna 182.

DSCN0188_edited_1.sized.jpg

Last edited:
Lancair pwr grid

That looks like the center grid, the aft and forward grids are just as high a quality and while spendy make for a neat installation. They just don't supply a system schematic to go by.

Not only that.

sprucemoose said:
Wow. I see about a hundred bucks in parts in there. You still think you can finish for $150K? ;)

Oh, yes, will make that easy. That number not only includes the power grids, it also includes, 4 wks of build assist, a fast build firewall option with all the parts, cables, hoses, tubing, fuel fittings, etc - all pre-assembled and mounted on the firewall. I also included a fast build electrical option that includes these 3 grids, the battery boxes, etc. And a fast build engine option that includes all the engine mounts/dampners, bushings, cable mounts, precut baffling, fuel selector, gascolator, fuel pump, precut baffle seals, ram air, etc.

I'm also doing a fast built panel option, where they do the metalwork, powdercoat, paint, etc and I'll stuff the dials and gizmos and wire it.

Yep, all that and I should be less than 150K even with the panel. BTW, here is the latest panel

Final_Panel.sized.png

Last edited:
Sure they do

buck said:
That looks like the center grid, the aft and forward grids are just as high a quality and while spendy make for a neat installation. They just don't supply a system schematic to go by.

Of course they provide a system schematic.... of the power system. At least I got one. As for the rest of it, if you buy their fastbuilt harness and full panel, you get all the rest including bound documentation, and schematics.

I'm doing most of that work myself, so I just opted for some options that I didn't have the tools for, nor the inclination to build. The power grids fall in that category.

sprucemoose said:
Wow. I see about a hundred bucks in parts in there. You still think you can finish for $150K? ;)
2 ANL fuses + 1 ACG fuse + 2 Master relays + 3 diodes + Copper stock = $600-$1000 --Wow indeed!
Think they have any of the $200 hammers left?

Somebody has found a new way to print money. At least the MC-10 has a voltage regulator built in. Maybe there are some electronics on the other side that we are not seeing?

Sorry

w1curtis said:
2 ANL fuses + 1 ACG fuse + 2 Master relays + 3 diodes + Copper stock = $600-$1000 --Wow indeed!
Think they have any of the $200 hammers left?

Somebody has found a new way to print money. At least the MC-10 has a voltage regulator built in. Maybe there are some electronics on the other side that we are not seeing?

Yes, there are 3 grids, primary with avoinics buss, essential, and starter. Plus the other regulators. I got it all in a fastbuild electrical kit, I've never stopped to make a full and complete inventory.

Now that I've looked at the pictures, how do you isolate Bus A and Bus B? Also, how do you provent a device the "non-essential" Bus from draining the battery on the "essential" bus? I can't see that from the pictures.

Description - sorry if I didn't do this already

Perhaps I didn't do this in the original email.

There are 3 grids in my setup.

Grid 1 - will go on the firewall (not in the pictures yet)
- very simple with 1 contactor (starter)
- 1 ANL for the primary Alt
- connector for interfacing to switching

Grid 2 - will go behind the seats on Main battery
- Main Battery contactor
- Avionics buss contactor
- ANL for avionics buss
- attach point to feed grid 3 cross tie
- ANL for primary buss
- connector for interfacing to switching and vreg
DSCN1361.sized.jpg

One note about this picture, there in an ANL that will be removed to connect the cross tie interconnect to the other grid

Grid 3 - will go behind the seats on backup battery
- Backup battery contactor
- Cross Tie contactor
- ANL for essential buss
- ANL for backup Alt
- connector for interfacing to switching and vreg
DSCN1356.sized.jpg

Combined, they make up exactly all the wiring and switching for an AeroElectric Z14 diagram with dual alt/batts
http://www.aeroelectric.com/PPS/Adobe_Architecture_Pdf/Z14_FADEC.pdf (this is the fadec version, but it's just the mag part that changes.

Back