What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trio Autopilot

pck

I'm New Here
Anybody have a Trio autopilot installed in their RV and if so, what model AP, options and how it has performed for you. I havent made up my mind yet as to which one I will install in my 7A. I will be using it for IFR, approaches and all that fun stuff
Thanks
pck

I have a Trio ProPilot in my airplane. I've just started flying my RV but with the test I've done so far it works great. It tracks to a waypoint great and I don't notice any type of hunting. Or I can set a course and then turn the dial on the front to adjust the course heading. I can also dial in an altitude and it will climb or descend to that altitude and level off. Another neat feature is 180 degree standard rate turn in case you enter IMC by mistake. Just press and hold a button for a couple seconds and it does the level turn for you. The servos have electric clutches so they disengage with no resistance when off. Mine is an earlier ProPilot model so I have to send it back for an upgrade to allow for full vertical coupled instrument approach capability. I have it wired to the 430W ARINC interface so it's all set for that. I've never had an autopilot but so far I'm impressed with this one. It's easy to use and they provided great customer service during the build process.

Anybody have a Trio autopilot installed in their RV and if so, what model AP, options and how it has performed for you. I havent made up my mind yet as to which one I will install in my 7A. I will be using it for IFR, approaches and all that fun stuff
Thanks
pck

The new Pro-Pilot is an excellent autopilot with excellent support.
You will not regret it should you choose it.

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

I have the EZPilot and alt hold also, and have flown them almost 4 years. I would get the ProPilot (which wasn't available when I bought) as it offers more for about the same money. I love Trio! Great support and a great product. Yes, I have used the 180 turn in IMC feature. Mine will take direction either from my AvMap EKP IV or Garmin 430W and will do a reasonable job of holding heading with no input at all. It is a lot of AP for the money.

Bob Kelly

Thanks
pck

Hi Paul,

The Trio systems have been installed in many RVs and there is much info in the forum archives. Search "Trio" and you will get many threads to read about this fine autopilot.

I have flown all the Trio products and some of my early impressions are on this page:

http://thervjournal.com

Bottom line, the Trio products will perform exactly as advertised. Support from the Trio guys is superb and their products are thoroughly flight-tested before release for sale. The Pro Pilot should be able to fly your IFR procedures when coupled to the appropriate avionics.

Enjoy your new autopilot!

Last edited:
We have installed many of them and can tell you first hand that Jerry, Chuck & Sid are three of the nicest (and smartest) people you'll find. Not only do they make an excellent product, but like TruTrak they own RV's and test their autopilots in their own airplanes extensively before release to the public. All around good folks....I certainly enjoy both their people and products.

Cheers,
Stein

Back