What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sporty's SP-400

Flybuddy2

Well Known Member
Purchased one at Oshkosh and got to using it this week as my comm was being worked on.
Overall, a good unit. Hooked to an external aircraft antenna and a Zulu headset, it had great range and was crystal clear wile using the comm. Called approach 15 out and they confirmed a clear transmission. It even has normal sidetone.
On the VOR--I tested only with the rubber ducky antenna and was able to pick up VORs at least 25 miles out. I also flipped it on during an approach last week while in a rainshower (rubber ant). I was about 4 miles out at that point and the ILS worked perfectly and completely agreed with where I was throughout the approach.
The headset adapter is a must have and is 26 bucks, it does not have a separate push to talk so you need to key the radio while speaking through the headset. The only down side (accessory wise) is the DC cig light adapter that costs 75 bucks. I didn't buy so I can't comment on it, but I'm sure it must fly the plane if you pass out for that kind of money.

Good pirep

That's good to know. I planned to have one of those in the cockpit as an extra level of redundancy. Nice to know it actually works as advertised!

Back