What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Can someone explain this?

WISC

Well Known Member
The regulations state:
Gyroscopic rate-of-turn indicator, except on the following aircraft:
(i) Airplanes with a third attitude instrument system usable through flight attitudes of 360 degrees of pitch and roll and installed in accordance with the instrument requirements prescribed in

This means I need a rate of turn unless I have a third attitude instrument/
My first one would be my artificial horizon. What does the FAA define as attitude instrument? Trying to decide what constitutes number two and three.
thanks

AIs

The regulations state:
Gyroscopic rate-of-turn indicator, except on the following aircraft:
(i) Airplanes with a third attitude instrument system usable through flight attitudes of 360 degrees of pitch and roll and installed in accordance with the instrument requirements prescribed in

This means I need a rate of turn unless I have a third attitude instrument/
My first one would be my artificial horizon. What does the FAA define as attitude instrument? Trying to decide what constitutes number two and three.
thanks

This is really directed at transport category aircraft that are usually configured with two attitude indicators (mechanical or electronic), pilot/co-pilot and an additional standby unit with battery backup to make three. The short answer is that you need a needle-ball or turn coordinator unless you have three fully functional AIs.

John Clark ATP, CFI
FAA FAAST Team Member
EAA Flight Advisor
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

Back