What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Idaho Airports

Greg Reese

Hi gang,
Couple of us are headed to ID the end of the week to look around. Would like to know the identifiers for a few back woods airports that are smooth enough for RV8s wheel pants. Thanx!

I wouldn't put an RV on any "back woods" strips except Johnson, Smiley, Cavanaugh, and even these are not "smooth". At least they're mostly grass surface. Everything else has varying degrees of gravel, rock, holes. Check out this site, and keep in mind these pix are spring time loveliness: flyidaho.org

Cavanaugh and Smiley will be the least difficult for first-timers. Johnson claims a few aircraft and an occasional life every year. Overconfidence, mountain ignorance, and poor flying skills get 'em.

So a few nannyisms for you: land uphill, take off downhill. Period. Until you learn your personal abilities to bend this rule, stick with it. If a tail wind situation is not to your liking, go somewhere else or don't take off. At Johnson, don't fly over the white house at the south end of the strip. Ever.

John Siebold
Boise, ID

more info?

Grass required? What about gravel/dirt? We have bunch grasses on some strips that make them pretty rough, we also have dirt/gravel strips like Prairie that see Mooney's and all sorts of airplanes.
A commercial operator takes a C210 into Wilson Bar, no grass there either. Wilson is not a good transition strip though if you are coming straight from the flatlands, however it is one of my favorite fall locations, because of the low elevation and the river. Several airplanes have been wadded up here recently, so, caution...

We have lots of strips, so what else are you looking for.... fishing? amenities? No one else for miles ;) ? Those other factors would help narrow it down.

here's a resource http://itd.idaho.gov/aero/Facility Directory/index.htm Paper copies are only 10 bucks IIRC.

Last edited:
The McCall airport is paved, but its up in the mountains and its an easy walk into town and to the shore of scenic Payette lake. KMYL is the identifier, and this is one of my favorite local destinations.

Landing in the backcountry requires familiarization with the strips in advance, we have had too many folks come up from California and crash and burn trying to land or takeoff in the backcountry.

Smiley Creek and Cavanaugh Bay have amenities like food, lodging and courtesy cars. I've been to both in my -9A.

Many folk use McCall (paved) as a staging base for Johnson Creek, Big Creek and Sulphur Creek. You can also get backcountry flight training there. Of those 3 strips, JC is the most RV friendly with BC in second place. Sulphur can get wet on the east end and has the least grass and the most gravel. I've been to all 3 in C182s. Camping allowed at JC. BC and SC expect you to rent rooms.

Anyone know if Big Creek been rebuilt since the kitchen fire? Are the new Sulphur owners open for regular business?

Info and corrections:

Camp amenities at Johnson are shut, and water will be turned off at the end of this week. No prohibition on camping at any time except it reverts to primitive fall, winter, spring.

Same with Smiley (water probably already is off). Courtesy car not available until next Memorial Day.

Nothing's been rebuilt at Big Creek, but there is a forest service camp area and a long drop. Not sure about water. Better off camping by your aircraft anyway.

Sulphur is wide open for business with improved food and a great couple running it. No reservation required. Lots of rocks that will tear up RV fairings. Any springtime softness to the lower end is a non-issue now, and confining your operations to just the upper dirt half (at the lodge end, which almost all do) is RV-able but you'd better be sharp: short, high, one way.

John Siebold

another one

I fly into Magee near Coeur d'Alene every once in a while. I haven't flown into Cavanaugh lately, but it used to have a rough surface even though it was grass. I've heard they resurfaced it, but haven't seen it my self. I've also landed at Big Creek, before the big fire burned down the lodge. It's a nice place. Johnson Creek is beautiful.

I too would caution you about taking airplanes into the back country without some training. Go to McCall, and rent a Cessna and instructor if you have to. But be carefull. It's not only the bears and wolves that can get you.

One thing that really gets some folks is that when you are landing uphill (like you are supposed to do) the runway will appear normal, and your actual angle of flight and angle of attack will be nothing like what you experience on flat ground. I highly recommend angle of attack instrumentation or at least a stall warning device of some sort.

Henry's Lake is fairly close to IDA. Make pickup arrangements with Mack's Inn beforehand. There's a couple of other backcountry strips near IDA but they are dirt. Ref Hanselman's book "Fly Idaho".
While not backcountry Teton-Driggs, ID is well within RV striking distance from IDA. West Yellowstone is very nice but I'm thinking they're closed for the winter season.

Back