What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Classic Aero baggage panel problem

RVbySDI

Well Known Member
I have a problem with the Classic Aero Design Upper Baggage Panel. This panel is not fitting. It looks like the F-6111L&R skin stiffeners are in the way of this panel fitting. After studying the plans last night it does appear that I have these stiffeners riveted in place as called out in the drawings.

The very last rivet at the top of these stiffeners gets a rivet in the same line as the bulkhead rivets on the top skin. But at that juncture, there is not enough vertical space between the bottom of the stiffener and the top of the Lower Baggage Panel. When I measure 6 inches in from the bottom of the Upper Baggage Panel and then from that point up to the top of the panel, that span is 12 inches. If I take the same relative measurement on the area of the airplane where this panel mounts, the distance from the bottom of the Lower Baggage Panel up to the bottom of F-6111L&R is 11 inches.

Can anyone who has mounted these Classic Aero panels give me some ideas on what I can do about this problem? Do I need to trim the F-6111 stiffeners? Although I have seen these stiffeners on some of the drawings, I cannot find any detailed information on installing them. If there is a specific point in the build instructions that calls out the details of this construction could someone point me to the correct drawing and/or section in the installation manual?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

I trimmed the stiffeners with a small
Dremmel tool.
Somewhere CAD mentioned having to
trim them.
Tom

Thanks Tom.

I had a call from Luke from Classic Aero Design after posting this thread. He also said I need to trim the stiffener to allow for the panel to fit.

It is interesting that Luke was monitoring this forum and replied quickly to my thread. Just more of that wonderful user support we enjoy from many of our vendors.

Thanks for the quick reply to my questions Luke.

Back