What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Florida vacation/attractions/accommodation tips ?

flyboy1963

Well Known Member
HI all you Floridians?!?!
I hope to make a quick family vacation to Florida & Disneyworld at the end of Sept.
Can anyone recommend good accommodations and what a pilot, wife, and 18-year old son should see in the area?
We have about a week 'in country', and want to make the most of it.
I visited in 1975, and saw the Cape, Dizzyworld, Tarpon springs, Miami.

What's the prognosis for hurricanes for the next few weeks? :(

appreciate any and all advice.

Perry,

Sounds like the only places you've missed are the keys and Key West!

We are in the peak of the hurricane season but so far so good. I would say by the end of September we are pretty much over the hump. Oops, hope I didn't just curse us. Definitely you should find "off season" rates still in all the hotels, not to mention the downward pressure the economy has had on prices.

Have fun! :)

i would ...........

say head for the beach!!!!!!!!! from BC, you will love the water temps. maybe some big waves to play in on the east coast if there some storms passing by. florida is a vacationers dream. so much to do. the beach is free too. showers when you get out.
img05792.jpg
RV flyby on the beach
img6614q.jpg

kids love disney.
img8275.jpg

come to the beach!!!!!!!

Florida West Coast

Venice Airport (KVNC) is located about 60 miles south of Tampa and is right on the Gulf of Mexico. Great on field restaurants (2) and a beach front restaurant (Sharkys) are big attractions. Take off on runway 22 and about 10 seconds later you are over Gulf of Mexico waters. Beautiful flying area.

We are also famous for shark tooth hunting (nothing like finding 4 million year old fossilized sharks teeth)

Call if you get down this way. I'm in the VAF white pages.

Lots of things to see in Central Florida!!
Orlando has Disney with its 4 parks, there is also Sea World for the fish lovers. Universal has the two parks with the new Harry Potter village. As said before there is the Cape (50 miles east of Orlando). Always specials on hotels this time of year.
As for the beaches, the east coast is good from Daytona south. West coast has nice white soft sand from Clearwater to Sarasota. Lots of places for shell collecting from Venice south to Naples.
Cedar Key, is fun and can be flown into for great food and a nice village to walk around. Lakeland airport has a aircraft museum and a little east of there is Fantasy of Flight, both are well worth seeing.
For the fresh water fisherman, there are lakes everywhere with lots of bass.

That only hits the high points, I am sure others will give you things to do in the Panhandle and South Florida

Beach, what? who?

....thanks everyone, I almost forgot the beaches! We have our share here in the interior of BC, actually miles of sandy beach and warm water, but there's nothing like the ocean! We'' certainly check it out as long as our sunscreen holds out!
I hope the family will drop me off at Kermit's for a few days, maybe they'll let me wash planes in exchange for some back-seat time??? :)

appreciate the tips and invitations.

Hope to be in Orlando on the 20th!

Back