What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GoPro HD wing tip test video

kevinh

Well Known Member
Hi ya'll,

I'll try flying with it next, but I'm playing with mounting a GoPro with a couple of wing tip fairing screws. Here's a boring video of taxi and plane washing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKG1FIdsMiw (select HD to see higher res version)

I recommend liberally skipping through the video to get an idea of viewing angles.

Other ideas for mounting would be appreciated.

Last edited:
GoProHD wingtip acro video

I modified a gopro mount by countersinking it and using a tinnerman washer to attach it to the wingtip. I think it works pretty well.

Some basic aerobatics as a YouTube test

When flying with the camera I'll add a small bit of drag on the other side of the plane so I don't need to put in the (small) rudder correction I needed on this flight.

Lesson Learned

Be careful how you handle the camera when filming inside the cabin. Took mine out for its first flight today and ended with only two stills. I apparently changed the mode while lining up the camera.

Its a great camera!

Nice angle to film from. I'd be curious to see some pictures of your mounting at the wingtip.

What setting did you use on the GoPro? I have been using r2 and mounting to the inside of my canopy with the suction cup mount. It works well but I'd like to try some new mounting locations.

By the way, the new firmware just came out so you can film with the camera upside down plus some other enhancements.

I used the 960p setting (r4? can't remember)

I'll post a picture later but it was really easy to make (and describe):
  • start with one of the flat gopro adhesive mounts (I left the tape on, but did not use it)
  • use a dremel sanding wheel to grind the middle .5" of the 'track' flat (to prepare for next step)
  • Drill a #27 hole in the middle of the mount
  • Countersink for a tinnerman washer
  • Remove the wingtip screw that is two screws forward of the spar web
  • Using a long countersunk #6 screw, mount the modified GoPro mount to the wingtip nutplate.

v80zo.jpg

Nice angle to film from. I'd be curious to see some pictures of your mounting at the wingtip.

What setting did you use on the GoPro? I have been using r2 and mounting to the inside of my canopy with the suction cup mount. It works well but I'd like to try some new mounting locations.

By the way, the new firmware just came out so you can film with the camera upside down plus some other enhancements.

Last edited:
Kevin, thank you for the picture which really makes perfect sense. Sometimes the most obvious things right in front of us we totally miss. I guess we builders expect it to be more complicated. Oh well. Took your suggestion and quite honestly it took more time to chuck up the drill bits than to produce the mount. Total time was about 5 min which included putting the camera in the housing.

I took it up for a test flight/video and posted it for your viewing pleasure. http://vimeo.com/14857734

goprowingtipmountpic.jpg

Last edited:
GoPro StabCam

I just completed my GoPro HD1080 Stabcam mount and flew it yesterday. The results were better than anticipated. Still trying to determine the best video editing software to use with this file type. Suggestions?
A couple of sample screen shots below. Other mounting locations in work.
Click on images for a larger view:

Looks cool. Was this a retrofit? Was the fiberglass fairing already attached with screws before this mod?

Video Editing Software

I have been using Studio HD by Pinnacle. Version 14 is able to handle the GoPro's HD MP4 format, it does put a load on your computer system so give it some time to import the video.

One really nice feature of Studio is the Smart Movie feature. Edit out the footage that you don't want to see, drop in your music from CD/MP3 or iTunes and it will time the transitions and clips to match that of the music. Great way to get raw footage into something you can share without spending hours in post production.

I've been using Windows Live Movie Maker on Win7, it's not a real robust editor, but I've been able to do some nice videos with the .avi format from my Contour HD camera. And the price is right!

Go Pro HD

Guys,
Thanks for the Pirep on the editing tools. Need to look closer at the Studio HD software. What suprised me is the file sizes of the HD video. Yikes!:eek:

Kevin, I bought an additional V/S fiberglass tip and modified it. The camera mount is bonded with the self adhesive GoPro mount, with a couple of blind rivets into the V/S tip rib for good measure. Absolutley no vibration with this config. I can pop the camera off and put the original fairing back on in a few minutes.
I've had a couple comments regarding the drag issue, but with the proven checkerboard paint speed mods, the offset is exactly zero... ;)

JJ, I can either Lead or follow with a choice of about 7-8 possible camera mount points. These things are too cool!

Last edited:
iMovie is great for ease of use and capabilities.

For more in depth stuff I use Final Cut Studio, though the learning curve is a bit steep.

Both only run on a Mac though. If you have that option....

Go Pro Audio

Can the Go Pro be plugged into audio on the head phone jack to capture the transmissions with ATC? Or is there some other way to record audio.

Can the Go Pro be plugged into audio on the head phone jack to capture the transmissions with ATC? Or is there some other way to record audio.

Yes - it includes cables for such things. But you will need to make/buy an adapter cable to let it plug into a headset jack.

The problem with iMovie is that it is an assembler, not a real editor.

I am creating monster files from my Go Pro and am still looking for a simple way of trimming them down to size so that iMovie can then assemble the bits. 'Trim' doesn't allow the flexibility I am looking for, may try some of the suggested.

BTW, I mounted mine on an inspection plate under the left wing, shot in updown mode as here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1yIRbxQghc&feature=g-all-u

And

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tX1EPiDCTc&feature=g-all-u

Seemed to work OK.

The new Go Pro has a remote wireless option that will be able to be controlled through an iLid App soon - can't wait :D:D

Back